21. Save Me

Chapter 21

Archer's POV
I arrive home and join my mom for dinner. They beautifully set the table as always, with the dishes properly cooked and presented like the ones in a five-star hotel. Of course, we have one of the best chef in the world, an Italian guy, Gustavo.

It is always me and my mom having dinner, sometimes with Nana Gloria, mom's mother. Our family looks perfect in the public, but in the privacy of our home, dad is always absent. I'm used to it. But at least, he's always present in my birthdays, because mom makes it a big event in Baltimore, invites all politician, socialites, businessmen, and dad's constituents, so dad won't have a choice but to attend.

"What are those big boxes outside?" I ask mom, who is very silent that evening. She usually talks a lot during dinner, telling me about her day with her friends, latest gossips and rumors, celebrities she hangs out with, shopping, new trend in clothes and bags, and other things that I find very shallow. She is just like Pipa.

"I bought the whole items in Dior, main street."

That took me by surprise. That must cost a fortune. "Why?"

She takes a small sip of her wine, then says, "I'm so upset with Oliver. It's the only thing that can be relieved of my anxiety."

"What the hell mom, just because you're upset with dad? You shopped for revenge? My God! You've been spending too much money lately shopping on luxurious items. You won't even use them, you just display them in your wardrobe for your friends to see when they visit. And this, buying an entire store is going beyond our normal limit."

She shrugs his shoulders, "it will hurt your dad's bank account not mine," she wipes the side of her lips gently, with finesse.

"Aren't you concern at all that you're rubbing him of his money? He's your husband, a family to us."

"In name only," She laughs, a sarcastic one, "don't talk about him like he's perfect, he is not! That asshole spends more time in the streets than with his family. He would rather die for his country in patriotism than spending time with us."

"That's what he is. Helping people makes him happy, and I learn to accept him for what he is. That's his advocation in life, serving the masses and making sure that the city is in peace and order. And you benefited a lot being the wife of a mayor."

"Yeah... yeah. Attending socialite parties, hanging out with rich and famous people, traveling to other states, being on TV and in the papers... and living like a celebrity." She put down the flute glass, "but now that I'm older, I'm tried of all that, Archer. I need a husband. A proper husband who will be with me always, to love and take care for me. He can't be like that to me, because he can't love me back."

Sadly, it was true. It sucks knowing that.

"He still loves her. All this time, it's always been her," mom added.

Now, we were back into the same topic again. The one I dreaded most. Dad's love story with Megan King.

My anger escalates immediately. I feel sorry for mom. I hate Megan King and his son, Grayson. These two are the main reason we can't have a perfectly happy and loving family. Dad is hang up with them.

I hate Grayson the most. I grew up hearing dad talking about him all the time. He's so proud of him and his accomplishments. He thinks the world of him and sometimes, he subconsciously call me Grayson.

"He filed a divorce again." Mom's eyes well will tears.

"Dammit!" I groan in frustration. My chest grow tight, hearing the news. This is the second time, from what I know.

She takes a big gulp of her wine, then says, "Don't worry. I'm tired of competing with her, so I'm letting him go."

"Don't sign it mom," I said firmly.

"I already did. I should have done it a long time ago. I told myself that I'm punishing him for depriving him of his freedom, but I suffer too. I spent half of my lifetime being with a man who can't fulfill me as a woman. I feel worthless, unloved and unwanted. I should not focus on himself, but learn to love myself first."

"You can't do that. What about our family? What about me?"

"You're twenty-five, Archer, you're not a kid anymore. You can even start your own family." She heaves a sigh, toying with her fork, "I want to be happy too. At least, when I reach sixty, I can say that I lived a fulfilled life."

"So you think having a divorce is a solution? You both need couple counseling, to settle your marriage issues."

"We did it many times, but doesn't work. We clash all the time. It's the reason we have separate bedrooms because we can't stand being in the same room for ten minutes."

"I won't allow it. You're letting Megan and Grayson win. I'll be the laughingstock of my friends."

"What are you terrified of, Archer? That they will find out the truth?"

The truth. The whole damn truth. I hate Grayson too much; I wanted him to die. Not just because of my father's affection, but way beyond that.

He's the real biological son of Oliver West, while I'm the chauffeur's son.