15. Love of my life

Chapter 15

Archer's POV

Fuck!

I was driving my Lamborghini so fast, not caring where I was going, until I noticed I reached the countryside.

These past weeks have not been easy. It started seeing Roxanne again. The feelings of anger, frustration and regret are back, and it keeps on building until it suffocates me.

I hate this feeling of being restless and dysfunctional. It affected my well-being, I can't think straight anymore.

And now, seeing her with Grayson made me explode. Dammit! Of all men that she could hook up with, why does it have to be him?

My phone rings again. I look at it, it's Pipa, calling me for the thirty-third time. Her text messages are endless. She's asking where I am, being sweet and kind at first, then cursing me to the core for being so cold to her lately, until she mentions Roxanne.

I shake my head, so fed up with her drama. I saw her confrontation with Roxanne in the CCTV footage this morning, and my suspicion was right. She started it. I'm so disappointed in Pipa, she has never changed. Still the same selfish, narrow-minded girl in high school.

I was looking for Roxanne; I wanted to apologize to her. I went to their house and found granny Mary.

"Archer? Is that really you?" Granny Mary greeted me warmly the moment she opened the door. Her arms extended for a hug.

I hugged her with one arm and gave her a basket full of her favorites.

"Hi Gran, I brought you some crab cakes and berries from the farm. Hope you'll like them."

"What?"

Oh no. I noticed that her hearing is getting bad. I said it again, louder. Then she smiled and answered.

"Of course! That's so sweet of you, you remembered my favorites. I'm glad you came and visited us. I've missed you."

Suddenly, I felt home. I missed her too.

I still have two grandmas. The one from my mother's side, Nana Gloria, is too aristocratic and cold. Her only concern is money and her luxury bags collection. My dad's mother, gram Rita, is sweet, but she plays favoritisms. Obviously I'm not her favorite. She thinks I'm too spoiled.

I have all the money in the world, my dad is a billionaire. But I lack love.

"So what brings you here?" Granny Mary asked, when I entered their house.

"Is Roxanne home?"

"Oh dear... Roxanne is not here. She went out looking for costumes," her eyes were teasing, then she asks curiously, "are you two back together?"

I suddenly felt awkward, "No, I just want to talk to her."

She looked dismayed, but smiled a little, "I'm still hoping that you two will get back together."

I smiled and held her hand, "I don't know for now granny, but who knows, only the future will tell. I have to go now and look for her."

"Try the costume shops nearby. I heard that it's open."

"Thanks granny."

"Do visit me again, okay?"

"Sure! I'll bring you more berries." I gave her a wink then I left.

I went to the only costume shop and there I found her clasped in the arms of my most hated person in the world, my half brother, from my dad.

I turned, pretended that seeing them together did not affect me. I went back in my car and drove as fast as I could.

Who she's hooking up with is none of my business. But for heaven's sake, not Grayson.

After reaching the countryside, I turned the car and headed home. I found my mom in the living room having tea with Nana Gloria.

"You missed lunch," my mom, Margaret West, scolds me right away, "it's Sunday, we're supposed to have lunch together."

"I was busy."

"Doing what?" she hissed, then continued in a very commanding voice, "Pipa called too many times, asking where you were. She said she texted and called you, but you did not answer. Where the hell have you been?"

"In the countryside. Getting some fresh air."

"Next time, answer her calls. You made her worry too much. What will her parents say? Her mother will tell our socialite friends I raised an ill-mannered and irresponsible son! You embarrassed us, especially your father."

As if dad cares. He was so obsessed with getting rich before, and now, with politics, he wouldn't notice if I'm not at home for a week. I only joined him in his campaigns, because they were the only times that I could bond with him.

"Stop treating me like a child, mother! I'm a grown up man, for heaven's sake."

"You don't talk to your mother like that, Archer!" Nana Gloria butted in, eyeing me like a total stranger. "You're also getting disrespectful. What is wrong with you?"

"I know what's wrong," mom glares at me angrily, "Pipa told me that Roxanne is working as a waitress at Steamy Hottie Cafe. You also told her not to tell me about it."

I let out a frustrated groan, "because I know you're going to make me fire her. She needs a job. It's pandemic."

"I don't care! Fire that bitch. I don't want her near you, Archer. I know she wants you back, and she already succeeded by messing up your brain."

"Roxanne doesn't give a damn about me. She's done with me!" I let out a sarcastic chuckle, "and you're right. You raised an ill-mannered and irresponsible son. Any decent man would not hurt the love of his life, the way I did to her."

"She's not the love of your life. It's Pipa." Mom bursts out, "Don't start this nonsense again, Archer. We're done with it. Either you get rid of that girl or I will."

I look straight in her eyes, angrily, "do that mother, and you will not see me again. Leave Roxanne alone. You got what you wanted two years ago, I broke up with her."

I stormed out of the living room, and I heard her yell.

"It better stay that way!"