12. We Don't Talk Anymore

Chapter 12

Roxanne's POV

The two weeks that I have been working at the cafe are very enjoyable. No boring moments with Jimmy and Tay around, who makes the ambience lively with their bright and friendly personality.

🎵We don't talk anymore... Like we used to do. We don't love anymore. What was all of it for? Oh, we don't talk anymore. Like we used to do... ♪🎵.

Jimmy always serenades me with his angelic voice and Tay impresses me with his amazing Kpop dance moves. During lunch, they share their Korean food with me and Zoe.

"You should try this." Tay put a portion of orange-colored rice on my plate.

"Hmm, this is delicious." I said when I had a mouthful. "What kind of rice is this?"

"Yeah, it's so good. It's called kimchi rice." Jimmy answered, then put a chunk of something covered with orange sauce inside my mouth.

"Whoa! That was super hot," I grabbed a glass of water, to clean my burning tongue. "But I love it. Can I have more?"

"Sure!" Tay laughed and put some on my plate. "Actually, this is my favorite Korean dish. It's called Tteokbokki."

"My goodness, you guys would make me crave for these dishes." I laughed happily with them.

Our cheerful mood always ends whenever Archer arrives, together with his beloved girlfriend, Pipa. Archer would walk past me, ignoring me to go directly to his office. He spends thirty minutes with Zoe, checking the sales and reconciling the books of accounts.

We don't talk anymore. We stopped talking two years ago.

Pipa would sit at the best table of the cafe and order anything she fancies without paying.

"I want a Dalgona Whipped Iced Coffee drink, and a chocolate cheesecake. Make it fast." Pipa ordered without looking at me, her eyes fixed at her gel manicured nails, but when I left, her eyes followed me around.

"I said, make it fast, right? You walk too slow... you serve too slow. It's like watching a dragging slow-motion movie."

"I have to be careful. You ignored the wet floor sign and chose this table."

"Ah... so you're saying that it's my fault. You can't just accept that you're lousy with your job. FYI. I'm a customer, and customers are always right!" Pipa's face flushed with anger.

"Whatever, Pipa. I don't have time to argue with you. The other customers are waiting."

She always makes nasty comments. Aside from complaining that I'm too slow in serving the food, she also complains that the table is not clean enough, the floor is sticky, I'm not giving her enough table napkins, and many other things that involve me and my work.

I know what she was trying to do, to find fault in my job and test my patience by provoking me into anger. But I learn to control myself, to be calm by just ignoring her and pretending not to hear anything.

Not succeeding with her plan, makes her furious.

One day, she grabbed my hair, then threw the ice cold coffee at my face.

"You deserve that. You kept me waiting!" Pipa's face turned scarlet as she yelled at me.

Damn her. She was giving me a hard time, asking for a glass of water, a new fork, more table napkins, to wipe the table again because it's sticky, to mop the floor because she spilled a little coffee and other things. And she was very upset that I kept her waiting.

"I'm the only server here, I had to attend to the other customers." With the back of my arm, I wiped my soaked face, then massaged my aching scalp. I was controlling myself, holding my anger.

I looked at Jimmy and Tay, who were observing us. Ready to defend me when things get nasty. The other customers were young high school girls, surely enjoying watching us, waiting for some action.

My eyes fixed on Pipa again. Another attack from her, and I'm going to put her down on the floor. I will surely use the training I learned from school and teach this bitch a lesson.

"Excuses... excuses... too many excuses. I will tell Archer about this and make him fire you! You have a simple job and yet, you can't do it right. You don't know how to serve your customers better!" She threatened.

"You're the only customer who complains. It's you who has a problem with me. You're so upset that I'm working closely with Archer. You're afraid that he will ditch you and come back to me."

"You bitch!" She moved fast towards me, her hand reached to scratch my face with her very long gel-manicured nails. But I got her first. I grabbed her neck, then pushed her hard on the floor.

She screamed, and I heard Archer shout behind me.

"Roxanne!"

Like a true prince charming, ready to rescue his princess, Archer was beside Pipa on the floor, then drew her in his arms.

"What the hell is going on?" Archer snapped, his eyes questioning me.

"Believe me, I've done nothing wrong."

"Really Roxanne? I saw you grabbed her neck and pushed her." He looked at me accusingly.

Before I could defend myself further, Pipa butted in.

"She's a lunatic! I don't understand why she always starts picking a fight." As expected, she played the victim. The best actress ever, crying and blaming me for everything. "She's so jealous of me. She can't accept that we're together now."

As if I care! I don't give a damn if they get married and have a dozen kids. I'm over him, a long time ago.

The situation was so awkward. Cringy. People were looking at us, and all I wanted at that moment was to dissolve and turn into water.

I wanted to explain, but I know that any explanation would not justify my action. Archer would believe what he saw, even though it was only the last part.

Two years ago, we had a big fight when we broke up. It ended with him thinking the worst of me. Any explanation now would not make any difference. He would still believe what he believed about me.

"I don't tolerate this kind of attitude from my employee! Pull your act together or I'm going to fire you!" Archer threatened me.

I was so hurt as I stared at the man whom I loved so dearly before. He was looking at me like I was a piece of shit now.

I wanted to quit and tell him to go to hell, because he's a fucking asshole. I hated him before for not believing me, and I hated him more now for the same reason. But I need the job. I have no choice but to stay.

Jimmy explained the situation to Archer, defending me. But Archer ignored his explanation and continued to comfort Pipa.

"You should bring me to the ER. I think I broke a rib." Pipa cried, and Archer looked so worried and carried her out of the shop.

Good riddance.