14

Dear Diary,

The drive back to the apartment seems quicker somehow. I'm not surprised though; time always seems to move faster when you're on your way back from your destination.

It's weird how that works.

Oh, it could also be because I'm driving my own car back this week.

Mom insisted that I leave the rental at home for her to drive around until they leave. Something about the Porsche needing an oil change and not getting it on time? I mean, my car will also not go unnoticed on campus, but it's my favourite thing ever, so I have something to be excited about.

My dad bought me my Mercedes-Benz G63 sometime last year, and I've never loved anything more.

I drive past the Portland sign and grab my phone to dial Perri. It's almost four-p.m. and I'm impressed with how soon I got here. In a few hours, I will be in my gown and makeup, walking up the steps to the sorority with my date – who isn't Rhett Ryder.

"Hey, girly. How far are you?" Perri answers before the first ring can finish.

"About thirty-minutes. Hey, where are we getting ready tonight?"

"Logan said to meet her at the house for five so that she can lend us our gowns. We were originally meant to get ready with her, but because of our date-situation, she said we can just get ready at the apartment and meet the rest of the sisters at the house for seven. Is Nathan picking you up?"

"I think that's the plan. I have to check-in with him. I've sort of been avoiding his messages," I admit.

Nathan did text me a few times yesterday to see if I knew which colour tie that he should wear and whether or not a corsage was mandatory - I'm assuming that was a joke – but I never got myself to answer him.

"Okay, call him now and settle the details. Jasper and I are leaving campus now."

"Shouldn't you be in psych right about now?" I question.

"Hey, if you get to skip, then so do I!" she laughs before hanging up on me this time.

I gather the nerve to call Nathan next.

Three rings...

Four rings...

And...

"Hey beautiful," he answers.

Cheerily.

"Nathan, hey. Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I was in the middle of it yesterday."

"Not a problem at all. You called now. What's up?"

"Well, I won't know the colour of my dress until five-ish, and a corsage is absolutely not necessary, you dork,"

"Hey, I am just doing my job as your date. It was imperative that I ask," he laughs.

I can just imagine those dimples.

"As soon as I know more, you will too," I tell him before we end the call.

I pass the exit to campus and head towards our apartment within the next fifteen-minutes. I really shouldn't be speeding right now, but I'm nervous.

Why am I nervous? Oh, because I have a date who isn't my first choice.

I try to ignore my thoughts of him, just like I had tried for the majority of my night and my morning, and currently, but nothing works.