24 ~ Free

He was lying. I could sense it. It couldn't be the reason he didn't want to make peace with the other packs was for his pack's sake. I mean why wouldn't they want peace?

"I know you're not telling me everything," I said, keeping my eyes on the view of the stream from our picnic spot. When he didn't reply I continued. "But that's okay. I havn't told you everything, so how why would I expect you to, right?" I said, letting out a huff of laughter as though it was totally fine.

"It's not okay, at all." He said shaking his head. "But some secrets are best kept buried." He fell silent for a few seconds before continuing. "This isn't supposed to be how mates treat each other... And I'm truly sorry about how things are going," he said turning his head towards me and catching my gaze. "I hate being such a bad mate, and I hate keeping things from you. I can understand why you don't trust me, but me not trusting you is only 'cause of my own fucked up reasons."

I couldn't help but get lost in his eyes as he spoke. He was right. I didn't trust him. But I wanted to, just as much as I wanted him to plant his delicious lips on mine at that moment. He must have been thinking the same thing, as he started to bring his face closer to mine. I felt my stomach fill with butterflies, but as much as I desperately wanted to kiss him, I knew it was wrong.

I'm stronger than the mate bond, I thought to myself, just as his lips were centimeters away from mine.

"You're right, this isn't the way mates treat each other." I whispered turning away from his heavenly lips.

"Right," he sighed. After about a minute he continued. "You know what my mother used to tell me?" He asked.

"Nope, but I bet you're gonna tell me." I replied, causing him to let out a breath of laughter.

"She used to say that if two people are meant to be together, they find a way."

"What's your point?"

"That I'm going to find that way."

"And how are you planning to do that?" He fell silent for a few minutes.

"I'm not going to force you to do anything anymore." He stated.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked as he pulled out my bracelets. Then he threw then into the stream.

"It means no more gold bracelets," he said.

"I'm free?" I asked.

"You're free." He confirmed. Then he slowly grabbed my hand and entwined our fingers. "But I still hope you'll stay." He whispered.

"Adam... This doesn't make everything okay," I whispered back.

"I know. But I'm going to try make it okay. More than okay, I'm going to make it perfect. I will find a way." He said as I felt tears form in my eyes. I don't know why I believed him after all of this. But I did.

"I'll do it." I whispered.

"Do what?" Adam asked.

"Learn how to heal. Or at least try." He looked at me, stunned. Then he grabbed my chin and pulled me towards his lips, as they crashed into mine. I felt the vibrations through my whole body, as I placed my hand on his chest. But I knew I couldn't let my emotions get the bet of me. After all, he was the guy who handcuffed me.

I gently pushed him away. "I'm sorry..." I whispered as I heard Nika whimper in my mind.

"Don't be." He muttered.

----------------------------

We walked back to the pack house talking casually on the way.

"My wolf wants me to tell you that your cat is stunning," Adam complemented.