Chapter 39 Gabriel

Ambrose, Cambridge, Callie, Waylon, Deale, Annie, Kori, Matti, my parents, Nova, Alaska, Sammy, Wade, my brothers, Harlow, and I all sat in my office which was made larger than Ric or Griff's so we could hold large meetings like this. I filled everyone in on what we learned from the interrogations of the prisoners. My father was the first to speak,

"Are you sure one of the rogues was named Cairo?" He asked, his eyes clearly looked worried.

"Yes, he said their names were Christopher and Cairo and they were father and son, with Christopher being the elder."

"Well, I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but my father had a twin brother named Cairo." Dad said and I felt my own eyes widen.

"Grandpa Cambridge had a twin brother?" I asked in shock.

We all knew that Aunt Lily wanted to name her youngest son after her father, who had died when she was very young, and Uncle Garrick had honored her wish. And we knew that our grandparents, Cambridge and Meredith, were killed in a rogue attack 14 years before our parents officially accepted each other. But, Grandpa having a twin was news to me.

"Yes, he had an identical twin which is why I wasn't surprised when your mom ended up pregnant with multiples. Dad and Cairo were raised to take over the pack together, just like you three were. But, Cairo had vastly different ideas than my dad did, ideas that contrasted with the outstanding traditions and morals of the Emerald Forest pack,

"He believed that the pack members were required to respect him, even bow down to him, without question. He even believed in indentured servitude and slavery. He thought it was a crime that the royal family outlawed the slave industry. Dad and Cairo started arguing over their ideas of pack policies before they were even named as the Alphas, and it worried their parents and the entire pack,

"The pack started calling for Cairo to be removed as the future Alpha. Thus, Cairo called for an Alpha challenge. Obviously, my father won and was named the next Alpha while Cairo was forced to go rogue. My father had offered to allow him to stay if he submitted himself to him and took the rank of omega, but Cairo was too proud for that and he left. As far as I know, he was never heard from again." My father finished his story.

"That's a unique enough name, I mean, what are the chances that there's another one?" I wondered.

"But, the rogue said that Christopher was the father and Cairo the son?" Ric said,

"Do you know if Cairo had a son?" I asked my father who shook his head,

"I know nothing."

"Well, it would make sense if Cairo had a son, Christopher, and then Christopher named his son after his own father." I said, almost confusing myself. The room blinked at me for a second before they all caught up with my line of thinking.

"Was Cairo the vengeful type?" I asked Dad who nodded vigorously,

"Yes, that I'm certain of. Dad always said that he worried about retaliation from Cairo and was surprised when it never came."

"Well, maybe it did. What if he's been behind all of it? Since the very first rogue attack that killed our grandparents 42 years ago." I suggested and you could've heard a pin drop in that room.

"You really think that?" Griff looked at me with wide eyes.

"I do. You never found out who was behind that rogue attack, did you?" I asked Dad who shook his head, "Or the attack that killed Mom's parents?" I asked again and again, he shook his head.

"No, the rogues never said it was a part of a bigger plot. After the first attack, I was such a new Alpha and the pack was so weak that I didn't investigate the incident as anything more than a random attack. Then, when they attacked seven years later, they mostly went after the humans and so I assumed they were the target." He said, but I could tell he was thinking hard about it.