7 | Forgetting

Ellie's POV:

If anything could make this week worse. It was fucking Nikolai.

And of course, he just had to stay.

And to be honest. I don't even know why he did.

Because I was quite capable of taking care of Ace by myself. Hell. I have done it on multiple occasions. And the fact that now all the sudden, I can't? Makes no sense to me.

Currently, I was carrying Ace up the stairs and to his room.

His head was slung over my shoulder as his eyes dropped.

He was so tired.

I looked at the clock on the wall and realized it was way past his bed time.

When we got to his room, I quickly changed his clothes and diaper, before laying him gently his crib.

He laid their for a second staring into my eyes. Before I smiled at him and covered him up with a blanket.

And almost as soon as I did that he fell right asleep.

I leaned my arms over the edge of the crib as I watched him sleep.

Kids are never something I have ever thought about considering I have kind of given up the whole thing of love.

But seeing this little thing that is so fragile and so gentle, made me feel so protected over him.

And even if I was just his aunt. I would still never let anything happen to him.

"Are you just going stand their, and watch him sleep forever?"

I jumped slightly as I turned to my left to find Nikolai leaning over the door frame watching me.

His legs and arms are crossed as a cocky smile was plastered on his face.

I rolled my eyes and put a finger up to my lips. "Shhh. He's sleeping moron. I don't want to wake him up."

He rolled his eyes as a cocky smile spreaded onto his lips.

I didn't pay attention to it, as my eyes fixed back onto Ace.

I remember the day that Beverly and Anthony brought him home and showed this baby off to me and mom.

His smile lit up the room, as his eyes barely opened. This baby sure liked to sleep let me tell you.

When I first cradled him in my arms I was immediately in love.

I was in love with the idea of having this big family, a husband, a nice house. Living the life that every single person dreams of.

But as I started to get older. I stopped believing in it.

I stopped believing that I ever had a chance at letting someone love me.

I kind of forgot what love even was.

"You know. I see you staring at him all the time." Nikolai said as he lifted his body from the frame.

His feet began to walk, as he found himself right next to me.

Now his body leaned against the wooden crib.

His back facing it, as his body got closer to mine.

"Kind of creepy to be honest."

I sighed. "He is my nephew. I can stare at him if I want."

He shrugged his shoulders. "Never said you couldn't. Just wondered why."

My eyes were still fixed on Ace's sleeping face as a small smile came upon me.