34 | Midnight Rain

Nikolai's POV:

I watched as Ellie walked away and couldn't help but stare at her bare hips as her ass as she strut.

God, I loved her.

But as soon as I was pulled back to reality, I turned back around, and their stood Rena.

Her eyes watched me intentionally, as Adam was off into space.

"Hey, can you give us a minute." Rena said, patting Adam's arm.

He smiled slightly as he pulled his arm from her and began to walk away.

And as soon as he was no longer in our vision, it was just me and Rena.

"Where's mom and dad?" I asked.

She crossed her arms as she lifted them slightly.

"Not here."

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at her with confusion.

I was shocked. No matter how many problems we both had with them, I was shocked that Mother didn't at least make an appearance.

"Why?" I asked curiously.

She sighed out as she glanced at the ground. "I told them not to come."

And as she lifted her face, I could tell she was hurt.

And seeing her face like this immediately brought my mind back to when we're kids, and it was late at night and I would sneak into her room to play games with her, as I tried to calm her nerves down from mother and fathers fights.

She was so innocent and so gentle, and the fact that she was going through her parents arguing and fighting all the time at the age of 6 was not fair.

But I did my best to protect her from everything bad in the world.

And now she was getting married, and in love almost made me sad. But not in a bad way, in a sentimental way.

She was now growing up. And she wasn't the scared 6 year old anymore. She was a woman. A woman capable of making her own descions.

"They didn't deserve to be here. So I told mom, if she wasn't willing to come without dad. She wasn't coming at all."

I took a step closer to her as I took a deep breath out.

"I am sorry if my conflicts came into play with your descion to bring them."

She shook her head. "It wasn't Nik. They hurt both of us. And if they couldn't at least put our differences behind yesterday at a simple get-together, then I certainly didn't want them around anyone at this party."

I nodded. "Well, thank you for not being mad."

Her eyes narrowed. "I could never be TRULY mad at you, Nik. I am your sister, after all. And family always sticks together."

I smiled at her as I took another step towards her.

I felt a small ounce of tears frame my eyes, as I did my best to keep my composure.

I was not an emotional person and rarely ever cried. But when I did, you would know I meant every word I had previously said.

"I am so happy for you, Rena." I said as I wrapped my arms around her small body.

I closed my eyes as I did my best to savor this hug.

I don't normally show my family a lot of affection. But.

Today was an exception.

She returned the hug by embracing me too.

"Thank you, Nik." She whispered into my shoulder.