Chapter Fifteen; Cotillion

Walking into the courtyard gave Mackenzie whiplash

Just yesterday she was behind held captive by a bunch of grumpy pirates underneath a mold shop deck. Now she was back at Auradon Prep, where the colors seemed more brighter than they had been. Maybe now that she had seen what the Isle of the Lost was like first-hand, her brain was trying to trick her into thinking that this was all an illusion.

'What if it is an illusion? What if none of this wasn't real? What if she wasn't even real?' She thought, her eyes darting all over the place.

"Kenz, you good?" Carlos asked, putting a hand on her shoulder. Looking at him, she sighed before nodding.

"Yeah... yeah I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" He asked again. "That pirate didn't hurt you did he?"

"No." She answered immediately. "Harry would never hurt me."

"What's that supposed too-?"

"Listen," she interrupted his question, taking a step back from him, "I-I should go get ready for Cotillion tonight. You need to get ready also, but first you may want to talk to the girls and Jay. You guys need a heart-to-heart I think."

She then walked briskly away, hugging herself as he mind raced with a million and one thoughts.

Entering her room, she slammed the door shut before jumping on her bed, groaning at the comfort it brought her. After sleeping on a no-good cot for two days it can mess with your back a lot.

Sighing as she moved her head to the window, getting a perfect view of the Isle. Slowly getting up, she walked over to the glass. Putting her palm on it, she could only think of one person.

The door then opened, Jane piling in. "Hey, you're back!" She smiled at Mackenzie. "Where did you run off too?"

"I just... had a really wild adventure." Mackenzie replied somberly. Jane stared at her, raising a brow in suspicion.

"Ok... you're acting more sane than usual. Did something happen?" Jane asked, calling her out on her attitude change. Kenzie snorted, turning to look at her.

"Me? Sane? Never." She chuckled before going to her closet. "I'll get ready in the bathroom that way you can have the room to yourself."

"Oh, well thank you.... Oh! Guess who asked me to Cotillion tonight!" Jane added quickly, stopping the other girl from closing the door.

"Who?"

"Carlos!" She squealed. "I cant believe he asked me! I'm so pumped!"

Mackenzie grinned at her. "Well it was about time he did. If i had to sit through him googling on 'how to ask someone out', I think I would've torn my ears off." She said before entering their shared bathroom, closing the door behind her.