Fourteen

Eden

I'm awoken by Jericho's jerky movements, automatically signaling that something isn't right. "Sh." Is the only noise he makes before growing increasingly still. "Someone is closing in on us.." he trails off before continuing. "No, it's more than one. At least four.." Jericho inhales deeply before growing rigid.

"Ghouls." He says quietly to me.

"Why are ghouls-" I'm quickly cut off as Jericho brings his hand to my mouth to silence me. "Don't speak."

Jericho slowly gets up and makes his way out of the tent. "You will stay in here and you will not make a sound." I nod, only slightly annoyed at the commanding tone he uses. More than anything I'm concerned as to why ghouls would be in this type of area, it's uncommon for ghouls to venture far from the mountains.

Flesh eaters.

There's nothing a ghoul loves more than to eat live flesh while their victims beg for mercy, the ghouls teeth secrete a poison that leaves you unable to move, yet doesn't render you unable to feel. An awful way to go, truly.

Jericho is back in the tent, grabbing everything and shoving it in his satchel as fast as he can. "Jericho, you're making too much noise, they'll hear you." I say quietly to him.

"It no longer matters, there are exactly eight of them now, and they are closing in on us. They know we're here, and we are what they're after. We need to move. Now." I'm already putting my ankle boots on and lacing them up as he says this, Jericho moves so quickly everything but our tent is already packed up. "Leave the tent, it's a small comfort we no longer have the time for." He says. I already had no intentions of taking the time to take it down, but I nod anyways.

"Climb onto my back. You're too slow and they will catch us quickly." Jericho says as he turns so I can climb onto him. I do as he says quietly, feeling only slightly ridiculous for allowing Jericho to give me a piggyback ride. I get it though, I'm slow and got short legs, I can't help it.

As soon as I'm on his back he's moving faster than I've ever moved before, making me instantly nauseous. "Jericho, why can't we just teleport away?" I ask, feeling uneasy. "Ghouls can track scents and teleport, anywhere I teleported to they would follow, and with each time my strength would weaken." He says quiet and evenly, as if he isn't running at a ridiculous speed through the trees with a full grown woman on his back.

"At this point I'm only looking for a place to hide you so I can do away with them." He says, instantly making me panic. "Jericho, you can't take on eight ghouls by yourself!" The thought of Jericho being harmed leaves my heart and mind in absolute chaos.

"You don't know much about Reapers if you think I can't handle these little pests myself. You doubt me and my strength." He says, seeming offended by my words.

MEN.

"It's not that I don't think you can't handle them-" I start, "Then trust me, Eden. I'll protect you." He says to me before coming to an abrupt stop.

"They are closing in from all sides, they knew.." My body breaks out in a cold sweat as Jericho says this. "Stay close to me, Eden. You'll have to use your magic if it comes down to it. Do not hold back, they will rip the flesh from your bones." Jericho says. "That's very encouraging to hear. 'flesh from your bones', you're not very good at hyping people up for fights ya know." I say to him.

The change in the air is quick. The magic power pouring from Jericho is thick, I practically feel as though I'm breathing it in. I watch as he brings his arm up and over his head, reaching behind his back as though he were to grab something.

The change happens so fast I don't register it at all until Jericho seems to be standing taller than before, his eyes as dark as a night sky with no stars or moon. Large curved horns adorn his head. His clothing is different now, instead of a grey shirt with dark brown pants Jericho now wears black pants accompanied only by a black cloak rimmed with a deep red.