Twenty-Seven

Eden

Melinoe trembles in my body in fear, the only emotion present at this moment as Jericho's whole body turns in our direction.

His scythe appears in his hand, large and menacing.

"Jericho, p-please, please don't do this, my body i-is all the back in the underworld, if you cast me out now I may never find my way to my body!" Melinoe cries out to him.

Jericho shows no signs of hesitation as he walks closer. My excitement only grows as he begins raising his scythe to my body's chest, preparing to rip Melinoe's soul from my body.

She makes no attempt to stop him.

She knows it would be useless. She could never move fast enough to even make it out of this tent.

"Jericho! Please don't do this.. I convinced Melinoe to do this! I used my magic to manipulate her judgement. Don't do this.." Ozul shouts, begging Jericho not to doom his lover's soul to aimlessly wander, searching for her body.

Jericho's movements never cease, and I watch as Melinoe searches out Ozul, only to find him being restrained by Damien.

Good.

I'm past feeling pity for those who have wronged me.

"You speak as if she isn't the daughter of Hades, as if he will not immediately sense her souls anguish upon being released. She will only wander as long as he sees fit for her punishment for what she's done." Jericho states. "She is lucky her body is not here," He continues, turning slightly to look at Ozul.

"Because I would slice this bitch into two." He says darkly, his power slowly pouring out of him, causing everyone to fall to their knees in his presence.

The Leader of the Reapers.

My mate.

Jericho swiftly brings the tip of his scythe to my chest, causing Melinoe to cry out painfully, before I'm met with the sudden feeling of being rushed back into my very being. I feel Melinoe's soul leave, and in that moment my body's screams of pain become soft cries of relief.

My body.

I'm back.

I try to stand but immediately begin falling, exhausted for reasons I don't understand.

Jericho is quick to catch me, easing me down slowly, before promptly grabbing my face gently within both of his hands, looking deeply into my eyes. Searching.

"Eden.. My Eden." He breathes out softly, sounding full of relief. "I'm so fucking sorry it took me so long to realize.." He says as he wraps me into his arms, kissing my forehead softly.

I inhale deeply, letting his scent calm me down. "But you did realize, you knew as soon as you saw me that something wasn't right." I say, reassuring him.

"But I should have known.." He whispers.

"Stop. Don't sit here and blame yourself. You saved me, Jericho." I say, smiling up at him, enjoying the feeling of his skin against mine.

Jericho stares into my eyes intently before bringing his lips to mine, kissing me gently.

I kiss him back, needing this physical touch from him.

"FUCK YOU!" Ozul shouts out, bringing me back to the realization they've been here this whole time.

Jericho uses his body as a shield between me and Ozul as he turns to confront him. When I look past Jericho I'm met with Ozuls Reaper form.

I'd never seen any of the other Reapers in their true forms, and I wasn't aware they had different features.

Ozul's eyes are black and he stands taller, larger, just as Jericho does in his Reaper form. But that's where the similarities end.