Epilogue

Eden

My eyes snap open as I'm awakened from yet another nightmare.

Darkness. Loss. Grief. Loneliness.

I slip out from under his arm that he has draped across my waist in his sleep. Silently I get out of bed and make my way to the large doors at the far end of the bedroom, the ones leading out to the small balcony overlooking the landscape of the beautiful palace grounds.

My feet silently take me where I need to be, opening the double doors I'm met with a dark sky and red crescent moon with no stars. Things are different here in the underworld, every night I look up and miss my stars, though I know this is where I need to be for now.

I sit on one of the two chairs as I inhale deeply, trying to calm my nerves back down.

The nightmares have plagued me for weeks now, no matter what magic I use the nightmares remain. Only one thing keeps them away, and sometimes it's still not enough. Like tonight.

"Eden?" I turn my head in the direction of his voice, my eyes meeting his golden ones that glimmer in the faint light of the lanterns that remain lit.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." I say quietly to him as I turn my eyes back to the landscape before me.

"The nightmares again?" He questions as he grows closer to me, lightly wrapping my waist up within his arms.

"It's always the same." My voice cracks as I speak, tears threatening to spill over once again.

My hands remain on the banister of the balcony as his arms rest across my waist, his large chest pressed against my back.

"Come, I'll read to you as you drift back to sleep." He says in a reassuring tone as his nose presses lightly against my neck, making my stomach feel as though it's fluttering like the wing beat of a million butterflies.

I manage to get out of his hold, pushing him away from me. "You know I don't like when you do that, Damien." I say without turning to face him.

"Right, the only time I can touch you is when we're in my bed. My apologies." I ignore the bitterness behind his voice, knowing it's my fault for seeking comfort from my nightmares within the arms of Jericho's brother.

"I wish you wouldn't say it like that. This isn't a sexual thing."

"It's just you using me as a comfort item."

Damien's words sting, but I say nothing for a moment, knowing he's right.

"I can go back to my room.." I whisper.

I've avoided me and Jericho's room as much as possible, saving the space for only my darkest moments when I need to scream at the gods for taking away my mate.

"Please stay, Eden.."

I say nothing, knowing my voice will tremble if I do.

"I'll be in bed, come join me when you're ready." He says as he leaves me alone with my thoughts.

I wait till I no longer hear his footsteps before breaking down, letting my tears paint my face in grief.

"Jericho, I'm so lost.. I don't know what to do without you now.. We've been searching for Aries for weeks only to find she's taken over the mortals kingdom.. She's untouchable now."

We surely thought we had lost Aries completely until Hades appeared with news she had not only taken over the mortals kingdom, but also has the ogres, ghouls and vampires on her side. She's creating an army.

But so are we.

Kiana has been our voice of reason and negotiator when it comes to getting others on our side for the war to come.

The werewolves easily took our side, the nymphs were harder to convince, and we're still waiting to hear back from the forest elves to see if they're willing to assist us.

We have many lower class demons preparing for war, training daily for battle in the mortal kingdom.

Aries has become nothing but pure evil, word has spread she's begun beheading anyone she feels might betray her or have second thoughts.

She's become ruthless and bitter, her heart growing colder by the day.

I no longer picture the golden haired woman laughing as she walks through the sunlight.

Instead when I picture Aries I see the evil grin she wore as the screams of our sisters played out behind her.

I will kill her.

"I promise, Jericho. I promise to you I'll kill her and get you back. I promise to save you! I'll bring you back to me!" I cry out, not caring who hears my anguish any longer for the moment.

My loud cries turn into silent sobs that shake my whole body.

Strong arms pick me up from where I'd crawled onto the ground to sob.

Damien says nothing as he lays me in his bed, pulling the blankets up around me as I continue to tremble.

"Please rest, we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow." He reminds me.

Tomorrow I'll be taking all the female warriors to train them, fine tune their skills and help those who can use magic to perfect their abilities.

I've looked forward to it since Hades had told me I'd be in charge of it. The dark god seeming to take pity on my sad state, he's been giving me random tasks to stay busy. But training the others is the most exciting one I've been given yet.

Within two weeks we'll storm the mortal kingdom with our armies we've managed to put together in such a short time. It wasn't easy, and I doubt things will get easier, either.

I hear Damiens footsteps heading to the door that leads to the hallway. "Damien?"

"Please just rest, Eden." He says without facing me.

I look down at my hands, not wanting to beg him to come lay back down with me for the comfort I so badly crave.

I've spent many nights feeling guilty as I sleep within Damiens arms, knowing Jericho waits for me somewhere in need of saving.

But I can't handle these nights alone, I did for the first couple weeks, but I couldn't take it any longer. I snuck into his room one night and he reluctantly let me into his bed. I told myself it would only be once, but it's become every night.

I don't want to be alone at night.

It's selfish of me.

My tears fall silently onto my hands as Damien sighs and begins walking back towards his bed. Plopping down heavily he lays on his side before grabbing me and holding me close.

He's right, this is the only place I'll allow him to touch me.

I press myself into his hold, letting my tears spill out onto his bare chest.

"I have to find him, Damien. I know he's still out there. I know he's alive, waiting for me." I sob into his skin.

"We will find him and bring him back to you, Eden. We will defeat Aries, and everything will be as it should in this world again." He says softly as he runs a hand soothingly up and down my back.

"Promise me."

"I promise this to you, Eden."

It takes a while for my sobs to let up enough for me to fall back asleep.

But it's waiting for me, it always is.

Darkness. Loss. Grief. Loneliness.

And Jericho calling out my name.

End of book one

1,250 words.
The story continues in Eden The Last Witch book TWO, now available to read! Just head on over to my profile to find it!
You do not want to miss this exciting and extremely steamy second book!