Chapter 7: Nasty Rumors Abound

Linda's POV:

It has only been mere days since my master's return with the duke but just their presence has livened things up in the Aisenburg mansion.

Letters and Invitations from noble houses wanting to host the triumphant duke, who led the subjugation of Guthrie found their way to our receiving boxes by the dozens.

There was even a big ceremony hosted by the prince and the Mines of Doriath was given to the duke as a reward for his feats.

But there was no reward for the Lady.

And....

Oddly no invitations for the duchess came, which struck the whole household as odd because we were aware of the huge contribution she made to the kingdom.

Through her act of serving daily meals to the devastated citizens of Guthrie; she managed to earn their trust by discovering the silver potatoes crop and even teaching the tavern masters, innkeepers, and all those who wish to learn from her.

That included how to prepare local dishes that utilize ingredients around them.

And she also kept the duke's morale high by taking the role of the lady of the castle who kept the castle neat and their meals delicious through her supervision.

All of the knights who came back gave us glowing reports of her deeds and how the duke seemed attached to her even till the new governor was appointed.

But only the duke kept getting invited to soirees and parties.

There was no praise for the duchess who helped out the army greatly.

Since my master is busy doing some seasonal food trials and experimenting on Exotic Lands Cuisine in the culinary house; I decided to investigate since I can leave it to Kain to guard my mistress.

So I went to the culinary house's kitchen and asked for permission.

"Hmm? You want to gather information?" Alaina looked at me before she smiled and went back to kneading dough. flour caking her apron and hands. "Very well. You may go. Have fun."

I smiled and bowed before giving a curt nod to Kain, who stood near the duchess. He returned it and I left swiftly through the servant's gate and began my investigation.

--------------------------------------------------

I went to the Terra Cafe, where most of the servants from noble houses go for great food and exchange gossip about the families they serve.

In short, Information.

Keeping my cloak down, I pulled out a small orb and swallowed it. I had to use my "fox ears" so I transformed it but made sure my hood was concealing my face to avoid any problems.

I felt my senses heighten. the multitude of voices was jarring to anyone who is not Beastkin but I controlled it and sat down at a secluded spot even as sweat trickled down my jaw. I wiped it away with a napkin and started filtering people talking all at once.

What I found out was not so surprising as I ordered a cafe latte as a pretense and sipped it tentatively when it arrived after I transformed my fox ears back into my human ones.

It seems like a nasty rumor about the duchess has surfaced and that caused the nobles to hesitate to invite her.

It was about how 3 knights died because the duchess wandered carelessly into the sleeping grounds of were oars and as a result of that, they were trampled on and killed due to her mistake.

Another rumor was how she used expensive ingredients to feed the senior officers and knights while giving inedible slop to the lower knights and the citizens of Guthrie.