Chapter 26: The Queen's Displeasure

Note: This chapter covers the events after a few hours in the morning when word of the destroyed guilds reached the Queen's ears.

Meanwhile....

Margaret's POV:

"Tell me. Am I a joke to you?"

Chills went up my spine as I kept my head down as I greeted the Queen in her Palace.

As usual, she wore the most fashionable gown and this time she has her face uncovered.

Known as one of Illios' most beautiful woman during her time. The Queen Bernadette was a very  charismatic woman.

Her blonde hair was the color of ripe wheat and held back in an intricate hairdo, pining the locks back into a bun decorated with lace and gems.

Her brown eyes looked dissolute yet regal as her slender frame shifted as she flicked her fan over her face.

She offered no command for me to stand up nor did I see any afternoon tea setup in this darkened room after I greeted her.

This means only one thing: She is furious.

"Your Highness...."

"Silence! I never told you to speak!" her voice was like a whip. "I commanded you to cease spreading rumors of the duchess for a while and yet the very guilds I used to help you spread those rumors were reduced to nothing!" her fan fluttered fast. "This inconvenience has sorely stopped me from getting news all over the kingdom! What did you have to say for yourself?"

"My queen, I thought we were so close to staining her reputation. To stop now...I thought it would be such a waste."

But she looked even more displeased.

"And yet....my sources tell me that the ducal couple remain as close as ever. This move was only based on your arrogance, Lady Lorax."

"I-I was so sure he would throw her away...He said to me that he would do the same to any woman whose reputation is blackened with scandal." I felt pain on my back from bowing for so long.

"Has it ever occurred to you that the duchess is a different breed from those who have curried favor with the duke and lost it?! No. I have had to suffer losses because I trusted you, Lady Lorax." her cold voice made me look up.

I wish I had not.

Her eyes looked disgusted and anger made her brown eyes glow with fury.

"Until you do something worth my time, the Queen's faction will no longer support the Lorax House. You are dismissed." her cold words sealed my fate.

----------------------------------------------------

"Just lay low for a while." Miranda said to me as she accompanied me all they way back to my carriage.

"But if we don't do something."

"We won't lay around doing nothing. That woman is just too strong. Most lowly creatures run away scared to their homes after a few rumors are spread and yet she fought back instead. Unbelievable." the princess grumbled as my footman opened the door to the carriage. "Listen, Until Mother's anger calms down, just...stay out of the way for now."

Incensed that even the princess thinks I am now useless. I left the Queen's Palace and soon drove away from the Royal Grounds.

But just as we were close to my Mansion, the carriage suddenly halted.