Chapter 40: A Visit from Father - Part 1

Ezran's POV:

My wife has been acting strange ever since news of her father's imminent arrival into Dranvelle.

But then....she could also be fretting about the official invitation letter from the Kalderos Food Festival that finally arrived today.

Thanks to that; she has been extra busy with preparing for both events.

One minute, her face scrunches up with worry and then her eyes turned dark with regret as she mumbles about the food she may be able to taste and inspire her cooking.

Then her pretty face becomes nervous whenever our eyes meet. When I asked her if she is okay, her answer would be a gentle peck on my cheek.

I was wondering what was she truly worried about.

So I asked her hand maid, Linda.

The astute young maid merely replied that my wife has not seen her family in so long so she is trying her best to prepare the best of everything for her father and at times she would wonder if it was enough.

It has been a year since we married.

So why is she nervous when she should be happy that her father is coming?

Don't all daughter's feel excited when their parents visit them after such a long time?

---------------------------------------------------------

Baron Loris' POV:

I am finally going to see her.

My little girl.

It has been a year since I laid eyes on her after the duke decided to make her his wife.

I had my misgivings at first but the duke promised to honor her as his wife and she will want for nothing.

I had initially wanted to come sooner. To visit Ely and assure her that all will be well.

But the skirmish with those Barbaric tribes left half of my lands in dire need of reconstruction and rehabilitation.

Without Yusef and Dhante to assist me; It took a year before my people recovered from the skirmishes.

So I was able to leave at my steward's urging to see my daughter.

"Sire. Over yonder...." One of my guards rumbled, his voice deep and hushed as he gained my attention by knocking on my carriage window.

"We are nearing the horizon. Over there lies the capital of Illios my liege " the other bodyguard riding on the other side pipped in; his excitement palpable.

I opened the curtain shielding the interiors and looked out.

Nestled amongst a field of lush green plains and small patches of scattered forests and woodlands.

In the center sits a huge city painted with structures of white, gold and silver. A huge moat surrounded the gigantic city gates. Several inner walls called "rings" segregated and separated the surroundings of the nobles, the mid-class and the lower classes.

The City of Dranvelle. A bustling metropolis of culture and trade.

My daughter's new home.

"Stop. I want to see it from here."

The carriage stopped and I stepped out. Our current position was on a hill so I was able to get a great view.

My entourage silently waited as I took a moment to survey Dranvelle.

It has been so long since I visited here. 20 years ago I think. How fast this city has progressed.

"We are a long way from home." I breathed the air which smelled different from the cool clean air in Arcadia.