The Kassi kingdom

Deep in the forest, a slender figure was walking around and picking up wooden branches, she tried to find the dry branches and shoved them on the pile she was supporting with one of her arms.

"I need to keep more branches in the house, otherwise our small house won't be able to hold through another rough winter. We need to thicken the walls and stop any leaks before the weather gets worse... The rainy season is coming sooner than I thought this year.." the woman kept mumbling to herself, thinking about ways to survive another winter in the forest.

She has been living like this for almost ten years yet she couldn't shake the bitter feeling that lingered deep in her heart. Being cast out, being cursed and kicked out. The wicked witch, that's what she was called over and over again when she was leaving the kingdom ten years ago.

Everyone had looked down on her and despised her. She felt the pain in her chest tightening and tried to concentrate on the task she had at hand. Bending down to pick up another branch, she heard shuffling behind the trees.

"You have finally blessed me with your presence, Aragorn." She announced as she straightened up.

A gray wolf appeared from behind the bushes and walked towards her, he made faint noises as he rubbed his thick fur against her arm.

"I have missed you too, you definitely took your time wandering around this time. Have you found your mate?" The wolf looked up at her as if he could understand her question and howled.

"Well, you can always tag along with me till you do, come now let's go back home before dark."

Evanora started walking back to her cabin when saw Aragorn's ears perking up and his head tilting as if he caught something. She looked in the same direction and picked unusual noises approaching. She closed her eyes and whispered.

"Horses..people talking..knights. What are they doing here in the middle of the enchanted forest? There is no trading route near here."

She was used to seeing some people crossing through the enchanted forest, following the trading routes but it was rare to find them on this side of the forest where there was nothing but large trees and wicked creatures day and night.

When she finally reached her cabin, she froze at the growing noises and a few minutes later, four knights appeared in front of her. She put the pile of wooden branches to the side and stood her ground. Aragorn baring his fangs at the intruders. She patted it's back trying to calm him down.

"We are knights from the Kassi kingdom" One of them spoke from a distance, unsettled by the sight of the large beast beside her.

She held her head up and prepared for what was to come. Her eyes shone with a twisted feeling, she hated the sight of them, or anyone from the Kassi kingdom, the people who tore her family apart. She used to be one of them but everything was different now.

"It's you, isn't it ? the wicked Witch, the one who was exiled from the kingdom years ago." He inquired.

"So what if it is me?" She replied with a calm voice.

"You are requested by the King, you need to come with us immediately."

Evanora let out a sarcastic laugh and shook her head in disbelief causing some of her black locks to get loose and cover her face.

"You must have gone crazy. All of you. Go back." Just as she turned around heading inside of her cabin, one of the knights led his horse and blocked her way.

"You dare show your back to the knights of the Kassi kingdom?" His voice was low and threatening.

"I have nothing to do with your kingdom, leave this place." Evanora looked up at him with fierce eyes.

The knights went quiet and turned to their leader, the dark haired man who stood in the middle.

"The king himself asked for you, you dare disobey his orders?"

"He is not my king." She hissed.

"Do not make this hard for yourself." The knight threatened

"Leave." Evanora felt the danger and took a defensive stand, a violet light appeared and engulfed her body, she spread her palms at her side. "Or I won't hold back."

Aragorn moved to a fighting stance by her side and bared his teeth to the knights. The horses got spooked and became agitated, they started kicking the ground and making loud noises, the knights had trouble controlling them and some even fell of their horsebacks.

"Sir Akare!" one of the men screamed waiting for the next order.

"We are leaving, we have no orders to engage in a fight with this wicked woman." He then turned to Evanora and yelled. "You will regret this!" The four knights turned on their heels and soon disappeared into the thick forest.

Evanora stood outside and waited till she made sure the knights were gone before picking up the branches she collected and walked inside the cabin.
"Come Aragorn."

She threw the branches into a corner and grabbed one of the heating stones she had. She wrapped her palms around it and felt the heat radiating and melting the cold on her fingers. She wished the heat would also melt the memories of the past that started hunting her again.

"That was a surprise, I wonder what's going on back there, not that I care, but something must have happened for them to come and look for me. I never thought this day would come." She turned to the wolf and watched as he laid down and curled his body next to the basket of heating stones enjoying the warmth, almost feeling jealous of his carefree state.

Sir Akare walked hastily through the castle's corridors, his armor shone under the sunlight and the rustling of his sword against the armor could be heard clearly as he stomped his way to the King's study.

"King Rokan." He greeted The king while bending his knee.

"Akare, come in. Did you bring her with you?" Rokan put aside the pen he was holding.

"I'm afraid not. She refused to come with us and even used magic to stir the horses. Since we had no orders to use force, I decided to come back and consult you."

"So she refuses to come. I was expecting this, you did well not to force her." Rokan combed his beard and stood from his chair.

"What are your orders?" Akare asked.

"We need her. We have no other choice but to win her over and bring her here. I will come with you this time and try to convince her."

"You are going with us?! Aren't you giving her too much value, if she feels that we are desperate she might act more stubborn. Besides, we cannot risk your safety and throw you in front of that wicked witch!"

"Do you fear for my life Akare?" Rokan laughed sarcastically. "I think you are forgetting who I am since I have been spending my time behind a desk."

"Rokan, she is a witch and we know nothing about her." Akare's eyes shone with worry.

"I'm coming with you. Let the men rest then let them know we are leaving again in a couple of days." The king left no room for Akare to argue as he left the room.

As Rokan walked along the castle corridors, his ears caught some servants whispering and he stopped to listen.

"They say it's a curse, the king has taken away too many lives and now we are all being punished for his sins." One of the women whispered," I heard there are at least a thousand sick people around the kingdom but the king keeps bringing them and hiding them in the castle."

"I heard lady Brianna is roaming the lands for good physicians and healers." Another one said.

"We don't need physicians, we need a miracle."