The knight and the counselor

She crossed her arms against her chest and let her mind race through the recent events. She felt a small shrill run through her spine as the cold night breeze caressed her cheeks. She hugged herself tighter and made an unspoken promise to the stars. A promise that she will do everything she can to clear her family's name, free her heritage from its chains, and help it rise again.

Her eyes caught a movement on the corner and her head turned to face the large Tower in front of her. High up in the sky she watched a figure pace on a balcony.

The king faced ahead of him, looking into the void. His hair was messy and ruffled by the wind while his figure stretched into the night and seemed frozen in its place. She wondered about his past and how he became king, his plans to save his people from this disease, and more importantly his plans for her.

Rokan was standing on the top of his tower watching his kingdom, thinking about the future when he felt he was being watched, his body stiffened, alarmed and checking for danger. His eyes searched his surroundings until they fell on a small figure on the other side of the castle.

He recognized her black braided hair from a distance. His body relaxed and he watched her silently as she stared at him. A few seconds later she turned around and walked into her room.

Rokan had already heard everything that happened to her family when he came back from his battle. She was only thirteen when things took a very bad turn for the witches and wizards in their kingdom. They burned their houses to the ground and chased them out throwing sticks and stones their way. He had never imagined a kid like her would survive.

King Leith banished her from his grounds and she ran to the enchanted forest. She hardly knew any spells or the extent of her powers by her age but that did not save her from the people's rage. The king had been desperate for the people's acceptance, to find a way so they could let him be in peace, without demanding him the cut on taxes or more protection from the barbarians that hunted the roads the merchants used.

He wanted to be spoiled and drowned in luxury without a care. The chance to appeal to his people by banishing a young girl was a golden opportunity. Rokan, however, had different plans once he was back from the battle. He had acquired everyone's respect and fear.  He was able to take down the old king and replace him.

With the first sun ray of the next day, Evanora got up and started getting ready. She heard a faint knock on the door as she sat in front of the dresser and then Helena walked in.

"Good morning Miss, I heard some noise inside and thought you were up. I hope I have not disturbed you." Helena greeted her with a smiling face.

"No, come in. I usually get up early in the mornings." Evanora said as she started combing her hair.

"Allow me," Helena took a few steps forward and took the brush from her hands. She started untangling the black locks and brushing them softly.

"You - you don't need to do that, I can take care of this..." Evanora was startled and tried to get the brush back.

"This is my job, if the king finds out I'm not properly taking care of you, I will be in big trouble. Please allow me to be of help and I will make sure to be here early from now on." Helena sounded calm and her voice was soothing, it was laced with a trace of innocence and warmth.

Evanora felt a slight pain in her heart as she remembered her mother's voice. It's been a long time since anyone took care of her or spoke to her in such a manner.

"You really don't need to do this..." Evanora mumbled but did nothing else to stop Helena from brushing her hair and helping her get ready.

Helena finished braiding her hair and was putting it delicately on her shoulder when they heard a knock on the door.