Heritage

Evanora looked at the pile of books on the desk and sighed, it has already been a week since she first started researching the disease and meeting with all the physicians Brianna introduced, trying to figure it out but they made no progress.

She missed Aragorn and found herself wondering about him. The beast was familiar with being on his own and he often left her to go roam the forest looking for his mate. Wolves were bound to survive in packs, even if Aragorn was an odd one and had survived alone ever since she found him as a pup, he was restless looking for other wolves.

She shook her head and tried to get back to reading. Her patience was running thin and frustration was creeping up on her but the king kept pushing everyone, asking Brianna to go out again and search around for any similar diseases, making sure Theon was checking the people inside the kingdom day and night, she felt like he checked every sick person personally and reported back to the king. However, the numbers were surprisingly stable.

Evanora had no time to slack around, she had to keep up with everyone's efforts. She had picked a large desk hidden in a small corner, away from the library entrance so she could concentrate on reading without being distracted by the noises coming from the outside or the few people who would sometimes walk in.

The library was not accessible to everyone but the King sent one of his servants almost daily to pick something for him, and the maid they assigned her, Helena, was also following her around relentlessly. Helena was an old woman but she did her job perfectly. She often came with tea and snacks to check on Evanora. But Evanora could not savor any of the food she was having as long as she made no progress.

She was staring through the open window, wondering about the spells she should try, when suddenly her papers started flipping around and she felt the air around her shift. Her mind started ringing the alarm bells and she felt that someone else was with her in the library. She got up from her seat and headed for the entrance. She heard no noise or sign of someone walking in.

She walked to the entrance and stood in the middle of the library surrounded by stacks of books that reached the ceiling. No one was there. She felt the hair on her body standing as she scanned her surroundings till her eyes fell on a large book carefully placed on a table. The book had no title on it and was wrapped in red cloth. She grabbed the book and looked at it carefully.

"I don't remember seeing this one before" She mumbled to herself. "Maybe I picked it up the other day and forgot about it, I need to get some rest."

She sighed and turned the pages, she watched as multiple figures of the human body appeared, representations of the energy circling within the body were sketched.

This book reminded her of the first books she read about magic. This is how she learned to perform the basic spells. Control your energy and transform it into power. 

However, this one had more medical terms and figures, specific to healing magic. She took it with her back to her desk and spent the rest of the day submerged in its contents.