Nothing has changed

"Miss, I brought you some tea and snacks, how about you take a break?" Helena walked into the library and placed the tray on a nearby desk. "You already skipped lunch and have been going on non-stop for over a week now."

"I have read every single word and I practiced all the tiny bits but I feel like I'm not ready yet to cast a spell on a person to test my healing magic. We are running out of time." Evanora sighed and put down the red book then walked to the desk and threw herself on a chair nearby. She was barely getting any sleep and dark circles kept appearing under her eyes with every passing day. 

"What do I need to do Helena?"

"I believe you need to take a break. Go for a walk in the garden and take some fresh air. Sleep well and have something to eat then start again."

"I'm actually starving." Evanora's eyes fell on the biscuits that Helena brought and felt a sudden hunger wash over her. She held her stomach and reached for the tray.

"I can make you something else quickly if you would like. It won't take long." Helena suggested

"No, it's okay. I will have these, go out for a walk, then come back again." Evanora shook her head and took a bite of the cookie.

"You do not need to worry much, the King himself asked me to tell you that you need a break. The patients are in a stable condition and they are being taken care of. Not many cases have been found lately so you still have time."

"The sooner this is over, the better it is for everyone." Evanora gave a weak smile to Helena, thinking that her presence in the kingdom did no one good. 

She felt that everyone was on edge around her. Other than Helena, the king, and a couple of knights, everyone else was shooting daggers in her direction every time she passed. Seeing the state Evanora was in, Helena's eyes shone as an idea crossed her mind.

"I think the garden won't do, how about the Miss goes out to the market in the trading district? I heard that the market is going to be busy today as new goods have arrived. We can go out and see the goods, maybe you would like to get something for yourself?"

Evanora thought about it, it had been a long time since she was at a busy market. She imagined all the sorts of goods that would be displayed, the chatter, and the energy the place would have. She could not stop herself from nodding.

"But we need to ask his highness for permission. I'm sure he will agree immediately." Helena reminded Evanora that even though she could go out she needed to let the king know.

"Fine, I guess it will be worth it." Evanora fought the urge to roll her eyes.

"Okay then, I will go and let his highness know you want to see him."

Evanora nodded again and Helena rushed out, leaving her alone to her rising nervousness as she thought again about the market. There would be many people, people who probably knew who she was, she might even see familiar faces, people who chased her out, who dragged her mother and sisters away.

 There would be many people, people who probably knew who she was, she might even see familiar faces, people who chased her out, who dragged her mother and sisters away