05. this place about to blow

The three of us walked through the almost empty base. Natasha and I flashed our flashlights and looked for anything to help as Steve stared into space. He was honestly no help at all in the matter as soon as we stepped foot on this soil.

We had picked up food from a place known as Wendy's. I got nuggets and a Frosty. The item they called a frosty which was basically just softer ice cream blended in a cup. I shared my frosty with Natasha due to our love for strawberry-flavored things. I had never had ice cream before and was caught off guard by its coldness, it made me jump as I held it in my mouth, making Natasha laugh at me.

I don't even want to know how they got chickens to be nuggets.

"Mr Rogers, are you alright?' I asked the man as he stood in place for a second longer. My accent made alright sound odd, it made me cringe in surprise as well.

He gave me a questioning look before realizing what I meant. "I'm fine." He assured, pushing past me to get to Natasha.

"What exactly are we looking for here?" I inquired, looking for any discrepancies in the area.

"That is a good question young Irena, maybe you should ask Captain Rodgers here," Natasha suggested, clearly as a silent signal to the man to get it together.

"I would but he seems pretty distracted at the moment," I responded.

"Couldn't agree more, get your head in the game Steve even the kid is noticing," Natasha instructed.

"I'm fine, just caught up in something." He explained.

"Well get uncaught," I mocked and shined my flashlight in his face.

"Quit it, kid." He said while he tried to swat at my flashlight.

Natasha snorted beside me which earned herself a glare from the agitated super soldier.

She quickly suppressed a smile but secretly slipped me a fist bump which I returned discreetly.

We continued walking in silence before our eyes fell on a poster of Steve during what was liked to be the 40's. Next to him were multiple men in uniforms who looked determined.

" Hey Natasha, did your friend here meet the man Hitler himself cuz boy that would be a story to tell the grandkids."  I teased.

Natasha looked down to hide her smile and I was relieved when I saw Steve's mouth curl up as well.

"Little widow, you'd be-" He started.

But I didn't hear him anymore. I saw his lips moving but no words came out. I felt dizzy, my face fell and my vision was blurred as I let out a harsh breath of air.

Nat turned to look at me. She gave me a worried expression as she walked towards me with one arm outstretched. Steve looked equally confused but stayed back per usual.

Then suddenly I wasn't there anymore. I felt the pressure of my eyes rolling back into my head. I heard Natasha and Steve's worried yells and shakes but I couldn't move.

I looked around at my new surroundings. I was ashamed to admit that I was scared. I was in a poorly lit room with targets and a gun in my hand. I felt shorter and the gun felt heavier than usual in my hands.

"Well done my little widow!" A male voice congratulated over a speaker.

No.

"No," I mumbled but I didn't really, not where I was.

I know that voice. I had just risked my life to escape it.

Dreykov stepped into the room and took my cheeks in his hands as he placed a kissed onto my head.