06. Steve's guy

"Nat!" I exclaimed, attempting to sit up before being met with a heavy pain in my stomach. I wasn't exactly sure why I had called the red-haired woman's name, she was the last thing I sort of remembered was on my mind before I blacked out.

I wasn't in the computer's brain anymore, I was back in the truck. How the hell did I get here?

"Kid, kid you're okay," Nat reassured from the front seat. Her body was twisted so she could face me. "How's that head of yours?" She asked.

I didn't know what she was talking about. I subconsciously raised a hand to my forehead, touching along my hairline. I was met with the texture of gauze under a bandaid. I must've cut it when we were almost blown to pieces.

"Fine, I guess," I replied, blinking my eyes for a long second.

When I opened them I took a long look at Nat. Her fiery orange hair was disheveled and her face was covered in soot. My lips curled at the sight. Steve didn't look much better. He had a cut on his lip and was also soot-covered.

"You look a mess." I teased.

The Romanoff woman smiled. "You don't look any better kid." She countered.

My smirk fell as the joke finished. "What happened while I slept?" I asked everyone in the car.

"You were out cold for like an hour bleeding all over the seat so we stopped by a convenience store and bought the basics before getting back on the road." Steve recapped.

I touched my head again. I'm surprised I only got off with a cut head and a most likely bruised rib after that. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the dashboard and holding my face in my hands while I stared ahead. "The road to where?" I questioned.

"Steve says he knows a guy." Nat mocked, shaking her shoulder as she spoke.

I chuckled at her before continuing. "So I guess it is secret hideout place?"

"You guessed correctly." He nodded.

"Great," I said with no excitement in my voice although I kind of was excited to finally be in a real house.

I could tell Nat found the way Steve and I didn't get along amusing. Whenever we bickered I always found her smirking or having an amused eyebrow raised. 

It was silent before Nat turned back to me with a soft face. "Look kid about what happened in the." She started before I cut her off.

Was I mad? Yes. At her though, no. She was not the right person to be mad at. If I was going to be mad I should be mad at Dreykov or HYDRA or whatever. I want to know more about my past more than anything now but it could wait until after we survive this.

I shook my head. "It is fine Nat, you are not the person I should be mad at. You did right thing not telling me but it doesn't really matter now that I know." I explained.

She stayed quiet for a second, processing my words. "I'm still sorry kid, I won't blame you if you can't forgive me, I probably wouldn't have forgiven myself either."

I gave her a small smile but also furrowed my eyebrows in fake confusion. "Didn't I just say I forgave you?"

She chuckled as she reached an arm out and scruffled my hair. "Oh ow ow ow, still concussed." I voiced.

"Oh shit, sorry kid." She cringed.

I laughed at the brief look of horror on her face. I could tell she was hoping I would open up to her and I could tell she was warming up to me. Before I knew I was a human lab rat, I thought it was odd she was trying so hard to be close and get to know me considering we only knew each other for 12 hours at most. But now I know it's because she knew me, basically raised me but, I didn't remember her. Maybe it was an attempt to start over on her behalf? I don't know, I hate how much I think now.