Chapter 17

October 6th, 2023

"Baby, let the games begin,
Let the games begin,
Let the games begin (now)..."

Beckett

"Did that just happen?"

I startled, turning to the direction of who just spoke to me to find out it was Caleb. I couldn't stop the relief that he had seen it too, that it wasn't just in my head.

Bailey had kissed my cheek.

I could still feel where her lips met my skin for a second before she pulled away, and I just knew that I'd feel her touch burned into that spot for the rest of the day.

"I thought I was imagining it," I said, shaking my hand and walking toward our lockers.

"You definitely weren't, I saw that with my own two eyes," he laughed, falling into step beside me.

"Good."

Caleb and I got to our lockers right as Wren hugged Bailey before walking to her class.

"What's going on with that?" Caleb asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Never mind," he said, closing his locker. "I'll catch you at lunch."

With a slap to my shoulder, he walked in the same direction Wren went.

Interesting.

Classes went by relatively fast today, which I was thankful for because all I wanted to do was see Bailey in English.

I was worried about how she'd act after this morning, because she seemed like she freaked herself out. But I was determined not to let it affect the progress we've made, if anything, it felt like it was a step in the right direction. I know her morning wasn't the best, but I could see the relief on her face when she saw Wren was at school and okay.

At lunch, the two acted like they usually did and even waved at Caleb and I before they left the cafeteria, arm in arm. I'd ask Bailey about it all when she got to class to be sure, but for now I'd be happy that we're even in a spot where I can ask her these things.

My attention was snapped up when the chair next to me pulled out.

"Nervous?" She asked me, taking her seat. I froze, because for some reason I'd never get used to how easy starting conversations with her is now.

That, and I am always stunned by how beautiful she is that I momentarily lose my breath every time.

"Huh?" I asked, stupidly.

"You zoned out, are you nervous for today's game?"

"Oh, yeah a little. The big game isn't until next week, so I'll save the real nerves for that one," I laughed. She smiled and ducked to get her notebook from her bag before sitting forward.

"Was everything okay with Wren this morning?" I asked.

"Yeah, her phone had died so that's why I hadn't heard from her. But she's coming with us to the game later, so all is good," she smiled.

"Delilah will be thrilled to hear that," I laughed, turning to face the front of the room where our teacher had just started lecture.

Bailey spent the class taking notes, while I sat watching her from my peripheral. This was something she loved, and it was so clear to see. When it was a topic she was passionate about, it was diligent. She put a lot of effort into her notes, organizing them from things she understood to things she didn't, and I had no doubt she wouldn't go home and study till she understood everything. Or when she made a breakthrough, and liked a certain part of the lecture, she wrote it down and doodled around it with a small smile on her face. Like it was a funny joke only she was in on.