Chapter 24

October 13th, 2023

"Even now, when we're already over,
I can't help myself from lookin' for you..."

Bailey

Beckett: No good luck picture this time?

I grinned, squished between Delilah and Wren in the backseat. We were on the way to one of the biggest games of the boy's season, and afterwards we were heading up to Pennbrook.

I turned to see Delilah asleep, head leaning against the window, before turning to Wren who was looking out the window with her headphones in. She was quieter than usual today, but I knew she was excited to tour tomorrow.

My grandfather coughed hard from the driver's seat, and Anna passed him a bottle of water. After taking a drink and a deep breath, he smiled at Anna before turning his attention back to the road. Wren's head shot in his direction at the commotion before her eyes met mine.

"What is it?" She asked. I showed her Beckett's message before pleading silently.

"Dork," she snorted, shifting to smile in the direction of my phone with me. After both approving, I sent it to Beckett before going to my camera roll and looking at the pictures we'd taken last weekend.

My heart skipped a beat when looking at the first one. I had been too caught up in the moment to really pay attention, but now it was my favorite picture. Beckett had sent them to me after walking me home that night, and I hadn't been able to stop smiling.

I'm not sure where the confidence came from when I pressed myself into his side that night, but I know I didn't regret it. He was warm, and it felt like I fit with him. And he'd leaned back, you can see where he held me up in the picture.

He wasn't looking at the camera, but I was. I was smiling wide, and he was grinning at me. I hadn't realized he was watching me at that moment, but I liked that he was.

And later, I peaked as he chose what photo to send to Caleb, and my heart soared when he picked the second photo instead. We were both smiling in that one, and though I loved it, I loved the first one more.

It felt more. I felt more. And I really hoped he felt more.

This picture was just ours.

Beckett: Wow.

Wow?

I quickly opened the photo I had sent and scanned it for something wrong, but I came up empty. I went back to his messages to reply, but once again he beat me to it.

I smiled at the photo of him and Caleb grinning at the camera. Well, Beckett was grinning. Caleb was smiling obnoxiously, but in his usual friendly way. I liked the photo before setting my phone down and tapping Wren's shoulder. She turned and caught my eye, and immediately got my silent question. Taking out an earbud, she passed me one before going back to the window. I slid down in my seat to get more comfortable before leaning into her shoulder and settling in for the rest of the drive.

I let it fall, my heart
And as it fell,
You rose to claim it

I smiled as the opening notes of Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" started playing.

This was the first hard song I'd learned on the piano when I was maybe 11. I'd spent hours practicing, every day after school, and I had been so excited when I finally nailed it. I remember I had just gotten it right, when dad had got home.

"Dad?" I called out. He walked out from the doorway as he kicked off his shoes before slowly turning in my direction.

"Bailey, it's late. You should be in bed," he sighed, sounding tired.