Chapter 67

May 20th, 2024

"'Cause they said the end is coming,
Everyone's up to something,
I find myself running home to your sweet nothings..."

Beckett

We were in the final stages before graduation. On Friday, we'd be walking that stage. All four of us.

I was so proud of Bailey. She's kept her promise, and has been at school every day. Her and Wren sat with us at lunch now, and I liked knowing she was next to me.

Grandpa Matt hadn't had a good day since that last one, and I could tell Bailey was tempted to crawl back into her hole some days. But she never did. She was keeping her promise to him, and I saw how grateful and happy it made him whenever he looked at her.

His medication had been doubled since the last time, so he slept more during the day. He was only really awake whenever Bailey got home, and it was never for long.

He had to make it to graduation.

He had to.

Sarah had gathered us on Sunday to discuss details, how getting him there would work. She'd seemed optimistic about it all, and I could tell Bailey was appreciative. Sarah was a big help, constantly giving Bailey updates throughout the school day. It gave Bailey a sense of peace, and for that I was beyond grateful.

Getting him to graduation was going to take a lot of energy out of him, but he was persistent.

He was going to make it.

"Are you sure you don't need me to bring you anything while I'm here?" I asked Bailey through the phone. I was currently shopping for last minute snacks for Delilah's end of year party tomorrow, but Bailey had called me halfway through.

"I'm sure," she paused, and I could hear her brain overthinking. "Do you want to come over when you're done and watch a movie with us?"

"I'll be there. I'm gonna shower when I get home, and then I'll head over," I told her, loading the groceries into my truck.

"Okay, see you soon."

"See you."

These days, everything feels so painfully bittersweet.

On Friday, we would be graduating high school. On Friday, 4 years would come to an end. 4 years of soccer, making new friends, and now finally having Bailey.

But there was a fault to it all.

An end that would change everything.

Graduation could be the last thing Grandpa Matt is here for. So what should be something we look forward to, has this dark aura casted around it.

It's a heartbreaking thing that we are being forced to accept.

Especially Bailey.

I think talking to him helps her, not to say she's come to terms with it all, but she's beginning to.

But in the end, nothing is going to make the pain of losing him bearable. I've gotten a few moments alone with him since that last time, and every time he tells me how proud of her he is. How she's trying her best to keep a brave front, but still being open with him about everything.

They end up talking most nights before bed, since Bailey is still insistent on sleeping on the sofa. If it gives her comfort, and pushes her to keep going as she is, he doesn't push his luck. And he likes having her close by, he's said multiple times.