Chapter 47

December 31st, 2023

"Her hair, her hair falls perfectly without her tryin',
She's so beautiful,
And I'll tell her everyday..."

Beckett

"I don't see the problem with that, as long as y'all are back around 7 for everything," Grandpa Matt said, and I punched the air in excitement. "Drive safe on the roads, Beckett."

"I will, sir," I promised, bounding up the stairs to knock on Bailey and Wren's door.

"Come in!" Wren said, and I opened the door to see her reading on the bed, but no Bailey in sight. "What's got you all giddy?"

"Grandpa Matt said I could take her out today," I said excitedly, quite literally bouncing on my heels. "As long as we're back by 7 for everything, Caleb is letting me use his truck."

"That'll be fun," she smiled, setting her book down. "I can get her ready after she gets out, you go change that way by the time she's done you're ready. You're burning daylight, Davis."

"God, thank you, Wren," I laughed, heading back to my room. "Appreciate this!"

"Yeah, yeah," I heard her mumble, getting up to close the door I had left open in my hurry back to my room.

I plugged in the ironing board so I could iron out the wrinkles in my jeans, and then ran to my suitcase to look for top options. Picking out a white sweater, I made sure there were no wrinkles before throwing it on. Spotting Caleb's navy blue quarter zip on a chair nearby, I quickly threw it on over the sweatshirt before heading back to the ironing board. Making sure it was hot enough, I pressed out the creases of my jeans before throwing them on too. I scolded myself for not waiting longer, because the fabric burned my legs as I hopped around trying to shake out the heat.

Jesus Beckett, slow the fuck down.

My mind was in overdrive thinking about taking Bailey out today.

The day after Christmas we all went snowmobiling, and the only few glimpses of her I got she had her head buried in Wren's back as she drove. It was comical, and she looked adorable all bundled up and holding on for dear life.

The last week has consisted of stolen kisses when the others weren't looking, and longer ones when we could catch a moment alone.

Caleb and I had hit the slopes during the weekdays, and sometimes we'd all go out as a group into town to explore, but Bailey and I hadn't been out on our own yet.

On Thursday night we stayed up late watching our show, finally finishing season two. And then stayed up even later talking about it, because I loved how invested in it she was so I'd say pretty much anything to get an elaboration out of her.

Grandpa Matt didn't mind that we basically spent the night together, as long as it was in the living room. So we'd built a pallet on the floor in front of the fireplace before settling in with her laptop.

But that was three nights ago, and these last couple days have been everyone chaotically preparing for tonight. My uncle had Caleb and I collecting firewood for the pit outside before dragging us into town to help him with fireworks.

My mom and Jenna had Bailey and Wren scrambling around the kitchen and running errands in town with them. So we hadn't caught a long moment alone outside of passing each other in the hall while in a rush and a quick peck.

Which was why I was beyond grateful Grandpa Matt was giving me the next three hours in town with Bailey. He wanted us back for dinner and everything after, but it was never my plan to miss any of that. I wouldn't dream of not ringing in the new year with all my favorite people.

Caleb and I had already loaded the firepit for later, so after what felt like a neverending list of tasks, we were finally given some free time to spare.

I checked myself in the mirror one more time before grabbing my wallet, phone, and Caleb's truck keys. Beau watched me from his bed in the corner, tail wagging the whole time.

"Come on bud," I said, whistling. I heard the pitter patter of his paws as we made our way downstairs to wait for Bailey.

"Where are you in a rush to?"

I turned to see my mother moving about the kitchen and made my way towards her, suddenly nervous.

"Grandpa Matt gave me permission to take Bailey into town for a while," I said, fixing the collar of Caleb's jacket I borrowed.

"Just the two of you?"

"Yes ma'am."

"You asked his permission?"

"Yes ma'am," I said again, and my mother looked up at me with a soft smile before playing her hand on my cheek.

"My son is a gentleman," she laughed softly. "Where are you gonna take her?"

I'd spent all night googling options in case Grandpa Matt said yes, I wanted to be prepared. I never would have imagined our first date to be in Breckenridge, I always had one planned in the back of my head for back home, but I would make work with what I had. If that was Breckenridge, then so be it.

"There's an ice skating rink downtown I think she would like, and then I saw a record shop when we were walking in town a few days ago. Might swing by there and grab a few CD's."

"That sounds lovely, Beckett," she said softly. "Have fun, call if y'all need anything."

"I will," I said, kissing her cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too."

Spinning on my heel, I went to go wait in the foyer but my steps slowed when Bailey came barreling down the stairs, her hair wild. I reached out to stabilize her and she gripped my forearm before looking up and meeting my eyes.

"Hi," she beamed. "Sorry, I tried to hurry."

Bailey wore beige jeans with a striped sweatshirt, a black puffer vest thrown over. Her hair had been blow dried by Wren I'm assuming, because her brown waves cascaded down her shoulders. Her makeup was light, but it highlighted the best parts of her.

Jesus, my chest feels tight.

"Beckett?" She asked, looking down at her outfit with a frown, and I realized I had been staring.

"You look great," I smiled, grabbing her hand and pulling her to the truck. "Come on, we've only got a few hours."

"Where are we going?"

"It's not far," I said, closing her door and running to get in the driver's seat. "You'll find out."

__________________________________

Leave chapter feedback here :)))

__________________________________