Chapter 9: Different But The Same

"We'll always be together, right?"

A tear rolled down my wet cheeks unwillingly as my hands clutched the fabric of his clothes. My breath hitched when he hugged back, his somehow cold arms wrapped around my body as he patted my head from behind.

"Sorry I'm late." he whispered, another tear dripped off my chin once he did.

I heard a loud click,"Are we done here?" a tone of annoyance came from behind me. "The next game's starting."

"Is it wrong for me to hug my little brother after not meeting him for two years?" he turned to Karma, his tone, too, filled the air with annoyance.

I heard another click, "You're taking too long." I heard the sound of footsteps approaching me with a loud stomp of every step. "I'm taking him back."

My hand was pulled forward by the wrist and the grasp on Gakusuu's clothing ripped apart, leaving me to question Karma for doing so. "Why?" I asked softly despite my urge to yell and run back to my brother.

"He's not a good influence to you." he said simply, not turning around to face me. He just kept on walking to the main shack. "Trust me, don't get involved with him."

"Karma," I tugged on his hurting grip on my wrist. "He's my brother."

He stopped walking, but he didn't face me. I was stuck looking at the back of his head, my eyes trying its best to not meet with his pale, bandaged neck.

All of a sudden, his grip got tighter. Painfully tighter. "Ouch! Karma, it hurts!" I exclaimed, trying to pry off his hand from mine.

"I know him better." he continued walking, dragging me along--ignoring my earlier complaint. "I've seen what he's capable of doing. Seen his true colours. I don't want you to see such a sight."

"What do you mean?"

"Why wouldn't you let me see him, Karma?" Gakushuu's voice exclaimed from his previous position.

Karma stopped again. But this time, he made eye-contact with the slightly older boy. "Look, I don't care if he's your brother. I don't even care if you think I'm a dick right now." he got unnoticeably tense. "I am not letting you get close to him. Don't you dare touch him, you monster."

I got a bit offended. I mean, who wouldn't? He's the person I grew up with, you can't talk like that to him. But, before I could open my mouth to comment on his rude behaviour, I heard a chuckle.

"You never change." he smiled. "When we're texting, you're the nicest guy on the planet. But, when we meet, you're a real ass."

I met Gakushuu's eyes, it gave off a weird vibe. But, I dare not say anything regarding to it. Somehow, I get the feeling that it'd make things worse if I did.

"If that's all you have to say," Karma ended the conversation. "We'll be going now."

With that, he pulled me with him to the main shack where I was just guessing the two idols are impatiently waiting for us.

It was strange of me to keep silent and went along with Karma instead of sticking with Gakushuu. It was strange that I chose to follow the stranger I've met over a week ago instead of the person I grew up with for over 10 years. It was strange, I admit. But, it somehow felt right.

He's always looked out for me and most of time, whatever comes out of that mouth is 92% true and to my benefit. If he says to stay away from Gakushuu, however, I would not accept it.

"Can't I at least invite him to play paintball with us?" I asked when we were within reach of the shack.

"What part of 'don't get involve with him' do you not understand?"