Chapter 22: Can't reach you

I peeled my eyes from the last test paper as it lifted up and found its way to the hands of the teacher collecting them. He sent me a glare as he moved on to the student behind me, probably dissatisfied of the way I was quite confident in my answers. I simply shrugged at his annoyed attitude and smiled forward, not bothering to return the icy stares of everyone in the room. 

I propped my head on the desk, trying to block their constant glances from entering my field of vision. I was used to all the attention, being the only one on the same level as the new student council president in the entire school. Apparently, that idiot got the status of the president even though we only have about 7 or 8 months of school. 

I lifted my head up, landing my gaze on the teacher in front of the class, stacking the test papers together before he turned to the rest of us. "That was your last paper for Mid-terms." he announced. "I hope you all don't have any regrets whatsoever. That's all, you're dismissed." 

With that, I let out a sigh, 'Its over. Its finally over.' I thought, my lips tugging a smile as I closed my eyes in relief. 'I can finally have some time off school. My jobs have been stacking up like crazy over the past month. Nagisa's birthday's coming up, too.' 

"The one that gains something to protect always loses."

I snapped my eyes open, supporting my head in my palm before I tried to shake the though off. "What the hell was that?" I wondered to myself. "It better not be the rat playing tricks again. I swear to god, the pranks he pull with Shizuo sometimes." 

But then again, I could've sworn the particular voice came from inside my head.

I stood up from my seat, refusing to even think twice about the string of letters that randomly popped up in my mind. As I walked past the teacher's table, my feet came to stop when his low tone pierced my ears. "Akabane, looks like you're quite comfortable in that E-class, aren't you?" he spat. 

I turned around, meeting my eyes with his disgusting ones. "Yes, I am." I smiled innocently, making a face resembling a little child to mock the man. "Thanks for sending me there. I'm learning a lot of new things already." 

 He clenched his teeth, "Your attitude hasn't changed one bit, has it?" 

"Whatever are you talking about?" I gagged. "I think I've changed quite a bit, honestly." 

"No, you're still that brat from a year ago to me." 

I let my hair drape over my eyes, covering them while they cast a shadow above the pair. I bit my lip, unable to counter with something that could save me from getting a bad reputation from the teachers. 

But then, I remembered. 

I don't care about something as stupid as a reputation in school. 

My lips curved upwards as I glared at him, using my sharp eyes to my advantage. "And you're still the bastard of a teacher that died trying to fix me." I spilled out the truth, gagging before walking out the door, leaving the man speechless. 

All I need is a reputation in the black market. 

I headed through the packed halls, spilling to the brim with students either huffing in relief or discussing the answers of the previous test papers. I scanned the area for a certain blue-haired lad, trying my hardest to spot him in this sea of people. 

My eyes landed on the certain mop of hair, my lips instantly tugging a smile. His eyes closed and his back leaning against the wall to my right --a few feet away from me; completely unaware of my presence coming to surprise him. 

"Hey, Nagi--" 

My eyes snapped open when I saw his rested face smiled, playfully punching the sides of the boy that came to greet him. Faintly, I could hear him apologizing for taking a long time which the azure eyed lad just shrugged off, saying that he hadn't been waiting long.