Chapter 13: The truth

"What if I told you, the mission was to have you dead?" 

My eyes snapped open, my breath hitched. But, despite my anxious actions, I still wore a smile on my face. "I've been experiencing Karma's taunting to kill me for quite some time now." I admitted, turning my face to avoid his gaze after pushing him away. "So, that joke's nothing really new to me." 

"Joke?" he questioned, as if surprised I said that word. But then, he chuckled. "Of course you think all of this is a joke."

"What are you getting at?" I scrunched my eyebrows, facing him once again, pursuing him to talk further. 

He smirked, "Either you think that this is all real and is too scared to admit it, or you're just plain stupid." 

"Excuse me?" 

"Come on, I'll tell you everything in detail." he offered. "Let's go to that cafe your friend works in. Yuma, was it?" 

"How do you know about Yuma?" I asked, suspicious of his knowledge. 

He chuckled, "Hey, who do you think I am?" he flicked my forehead, probably making fun of me. 

"Some rat that escaped the sewers." 

"Harsh." he sighed, "And when I'm generous enough to tell you about Karma's past too." 

My heart pounded, "Why do I need to know his past?" 

"Aren't you curious to know--"

"Not even the slightest."

"--why he became an assassin?"

My eyes snapped open, "H-How do you know about that?" I questioned, still terrified to hear the word roll out of one's tongue so easily. 

"A little interested, aren't you?" he sneered. "Let's talk somewhere more private. I hear that cafe isn't at all crowded. More like deserted."

"Why?" I started. "Why do you want to tell me this so badly?" 

He smirked as he walked in front of me, his hands stuffed in his pockets. "Because that's my job, Nagisa." he said, his eyes looking at me over his shoulder. "As an info broker." 

*~*~*~*~*~

"Talk." I demanded, setting my cup of tea back onto its saucer on the table we were seated at. As Izaya predicted, the cafe was completely empty. Well, there were staff on duty but, other than that, this place was deserted. I kinda feel bad for it. 

"Right to the point?" Izaya chuckled, taking a bite out of his doughnut. "I thought we could get each other more." 

"I'm Nagisa. You're Izaya. What else is there to know?" 

He sighed, "Let me give you an example." he set his treat aside. "Do you know my age?" 

"Do I need to?" I asked. 

"You don't." he answered. "But, I know yours. You're 14." 

"You know my age, so what?" 

"Born on July 20th, countdown to birthday; 7 days. Zodiac sign, cancer. First and only child, adopted at the age of 3 by Asano Gakushuu. School enrollment; Cross Junior High, E-class--"

"Stop." I instructed, my face going pale from his expanded knowledge about me which, honestly, gives me the creeps. "But, those are general information. And you call yourself a so called info broker."

He smirked again, "Oh? Would you like me to go into a more private point of view?"

"No." I responded almost immediately. "I would rather you not speak of my private matters in such an open area, thank you very much."