Bathroom Break

The week was coming to an end fast and I knew that come Saturday the pack party will commence, and on Sunday the esteemed council members would be paying us a visit to make sure Dean had marked me.

"I still can't believe you didn't call me immediately after Dean did it." Steph commented as she openly stared at the mark on my neck instead of doing her work in study hall.

"It's just a bite, no big deal."

"Yes big deal Cassie." She objected. "Girl you're officially the Luna of the pack now."

I shrugged, clearly I didn't care about the title...I never did. "technically I still have to be presented to the pack before I'm OFFICALLY the Luna."

"What's with you these days, I hardly know who you are anymore."

I chuckled a humorless laugh, "you know I feel the same way about myself." I said before I sighed heavily. "It seems like every since Dean was appointed the Alpha of this pack everything has gone to shit, there's too many rules, expectations, not enough time, and I don't even want to think about the consequences of failing...I don't care if I sound like a brat, this shit sucks."

"Once Dean gets a Beta things will calm down." Stephanie offered, "remember Ryan use to attend meeting in his father's place."

The mention of Ryan made my insides churn and now I was on the verge of tears.

"Shit, Cassie what's wrong girl?" She asked worriedly as she looked around the classroom to make sure we weren't causing too much attention to ourselves.

I shook my head and my tears fell.

Stephanie asked the teacher if we could be excused, "Cassandra isn't feeling well."

The teacher begrudgingly agreed, he knew we were notorious for missing class on purpose, but as a guy he hated seeing a girl cry. As we exited the classroom we passed whispered conversations all around us, no doubt the rumor mill would begin to churn out the absurd reasons I was crying in class...but I could careless anymore.

We made it to the ladies room and Steph looked under all the stalls to make sure we were alone.

"The coast is clear now spill, I know somethings been on your mind, your face gives you away."

Once again I sighed heavily and this time leaned against one of the sinks, "it's no big deal really, I'm only pretty sure I killed my mates best friend and now my mate can hardly stand to be around me." I finally said out loud as light tears fell, "so you know, no biggie or anything."

She came right over and just pulled me into a tight hug.

It was something that I hadn't realized my body was craving, affection.

I wrapped my arms around my friend in return and just let all of my bottled up emotions spill out.

I confessed my fears and constant worries, I admitted to practically forcing Dean into marking me, and I finally just said "I don't want to be the Luna of this pack."

After that she stepped back, "feel better?"

I only nodded slightly, in truth I actually did feel a little relieved, but I also couldn't help but allow the guilt to wash over me at my spoken confessions.

"Look Cass, I've said it before...I can't relate but I know you...You're strong and confident, I know it isn't fun just yet but you are going to be a great Luna...and hey, they always say the ones who don't want the power are the ones who really deserve it." She offered. "Now onto the absurd notion that Dean hates you, sorry to burst your emo bubble but he doesn't, that much I can damn well guarantee...you two are mates, that means you're basically magically bound to love one another no matter what...Even more so since you didn't kill Ryan, that psychopath Jace did so quit trying to put that on yourself."

I didn't know what to say.

This time she was the one that sighed, "you need to talk to Dean...sit him down, no business, no family, no distractions, just you and him and talk about everything...you two aren't communicating and that's not good for your relationship or the pack."

She was right, the only thing was that it sounded so much easier said than done. "Since when did it become so difficult to talk to my own mate?" I asked slightly exasperated.

She simply shrugged, "since he became the Alpha."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm starting to think that's the worst things that's ever happened to us."

"Could be worse." She pointed out, "you could have horrible in laws."

"Hey that reminds me...the other day Dean mentioned having a dinner at the pack house for our families." I said, in fact it was something I was kind of dreading as neither of our parents had yet to find out about me being marked already. "Anyways you're coming."

"You said dinner for your families, ergo not fabulous Friends." She smirked.

"You're practically my sister and I didn't ask you to come over, I'm telling you as your Luna to attend my dinner at my pack house." I said with faux authority.

She placed her hand over her heart, "what a blatant abuse of your Luna power."

I shrugged, "rumor has it I'm nothing but a power hungry gold digger, gotta live up to it I suppose." I said in reference to one of the strings of gossip I had heard in the hall earlier that day.

Stephanie rolled her eyes this time, "you know I hate to say it but Dean's gonna have to do something about the younger Weres respecting the new authority and that includes you."

"I don't want people to feel like I'm just running to him crying every time they whisper my name...I can handle myself."

"Cass I'm not saying you can't take the gossip, I'm only saying he needs to establish his authority, make everyone see him as an Alpha or sooner rather than later someone will challenge him for the position of Alpha."

Her words were a punch in the gut, it's true that any male were can challenge the Alpha for the chance at beating him, it's seldom ever done this day in age as Alpha lines are usually really strong and deeply established as the title is handed down the familial line from Father to son.

But Dean didn't inherit the title like so many are use to...he was given the position due to circumstance.

Something that may not sit well with everyone in the pack.