Decisions

My heart raced as his words hit my ears.

'Jace is Dead'

He wasn't just another guy...this was Jace.

Someone I'd grown up with, someone I had kissed, and loved, someone I cried for, cried with, laughed with, made memories with...he was a friend and a lover and now he was gone.

I knew my Dean was trying to get a read on me and as I looked at him my tears fell.

He sighed heavily before he took me into his arms and let me cry.

"I'm sorry."

I shook my head, "Dean...I wasn't in love with him anymore, but it's hard to know that someone who was a big part of my life is suddenly gone and it's all my fault."

His eyebrows pulled together as he looked at me, "How is this your fault?"

"I'm the one that ordered the guard to kill him if they found him."

He shook his head. "My Love...no offense but an Alpha's orders outweigh a Luna's...plus, I was the one who killed him personally." He sighed. "I knew it had to be me and him, one on one...no wolves...if it wasn't handled he'd just keep coming back."

I knew he was right and I knew this wouldn't have been an easy choice for him to make. Again, this wasn't just a random rogue, this was a guy he'd watched grow up...this was his best friends little brother.

"I'm sorry you had to be the one to do this." I said as I reached up and touched his handsome face.

He looked at me and smiled ever so slightly, "I'm just glad it's over."

I nodded.

As horrible as I felt knowing Jace is dead, I also couldn't help but feel like there was this huge weight lifted off us now.

I looked at Dean and suddenly realized he had faught, with his injured arm and all.

"Dammit Dean, where is your sling?!"

He made a face, "I know, I know...I promise I'll go and put it back on, I just wanted to be the one to tell you because I knew this would be hard on you."

I nodded and offered him a small smile, "thank you for always thinking of me and my feelings." I said before I kissed him once again. "Now go and get your damn sling and let your arm heal properly."

_____

In the weeks that passed everything seemed to fall into a more calm and comfortable normal.

Of course the Doctor was livid with Dean and his carelessness of his pre-existing injuries.

On a separate not, Dean and I found out that we were not expecting like we had first thought.

It was a hard truth for the both of us.

But It opened up a window of conversation between the two of us.

We knew realistically that a baby wasn't the right thing for us at the moment...no matter how much we may love the idea of a baby, we knew we weren't ready at all. But we now knew this was something we really did want, a little later on.

And it turns out we weren't the only ones who needed to have a talk about big life decisions.

"So I talked to Carter." Steph sounded as we walked out of our last class of the day. "We actually talked all night if I'm being honest."

I smiled. "Sounds romantic."

She smirked. "...Some of it was." She admitted. "But mostly it was us laying out future plans for when I finish up school."

I knew she'd have to leave to be with him.

"Of course he's my mate so I want to be with him and as close to him as possible... but he's also an Alpha, and in his pack they have Luna training that I'm going to have to do to help me become luna of his pack one day."

"I think I could've benefitted from those myself." I confessed.

She shook her head, "Training, or lessons...none of it really matters to me, I honestly believe it comes down to real life situations and you and Dean have done great with the hands you've been dealt."

"Thanks Steph...I don't know what I'm going to do once you officially move...I decided to get a new birth control." I filled her in.

Of course we had to let everyone know the pregnancy was a false positive.

"It'll be good for 4 years...i'll be in my early 20's and Dean and I can start really trying if it's something we feel we're ready for." I said.

"I'm glad you two came to a mature resolve." She smirked, "I'm sure Alpha Dean is going to take full advantage of risk free sex."

I blushed but nodded, "He has."

We laughed and got into her car, she dropped me off at home and I was so glad to find Dean there instead of at work.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I walked right over to him and kissed him to my hearts content.

He smiled, "Jaxon asked to speak with us." He filled me in.

I nodded, "Hope it's good news."

This time he shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine Love...he should be here any minute, apparently he had to run back to his old pack last night and he stayed at his mate's house."

"Wait...he has a Mate?" I asked and as the words left my mouth Jaxon walked in and gave us a sad sort of smile. "Are you alright Jaxon?"

"I'm alright...thanks for giving me a moment of your time." He sounded rushed.

Dean looked at me before looking back to his cousin. "It's no problem, you know that Jax...should we talk in the office?"

"Nah, here's fine." He sounded. "Uh so Dean you know I have a mate,"

Dean nodded.

"Her name is Kendra and the reason I hadn't mentioned her before is because she was refusing to come here with me."

I felt bad for him, what kind of wolf would willingly want to be away from their mate?

He must've picked up on my thoughts though as he filled us in.

"She didn't want to leave her mother behind, she is the only family she has and her mother is really sick...that being said, tonight my mate will have to decide if she'll pull the plug as she was hospitalized over the weekend."

"Jaxon." I sounded sadly now. "Oh I'm so sorry to hear that."

I knew he couldn't be with his mate in her time of need because that's when the presenting was taking place.

"Thank you Cassie...I hope you both understand my needing to be there with her right now." He added, "My mom and Dad are with Kendra right now so she isn't alone...but I'd really like to ask if you two would allow me to bring her here to the pack after we've...-"

"Don't even worry about that right now." Dean said, "You and your family are always welcome here, your mate included...take as much time as you need I'll have Russ and the guard to back me if needed."

I hugged him before Dean also hugged his cousin then we watched him go.

For the rest of the day we could only worry about Jaxon and his mate, I held my own mate just a little closer to me that night as I couldn't begin to fathom how poor Kendra was going through all of this right now?