Two Alphas, A Beta, & Two Mates

I stood near the back door trying to use any heightened abilities I had whatsoever to hear what was going on outside with Steph and this Alpha Carter...her mate.

I also didn't need to be caught eavesdropping. Not exactly something a dignified Luna would be doing.

Plus as giddy as I felt in knowing Stephanie had just found her mate. I knew what would come next.

I walked away from the back door and slumped on to the sofa...my best friend would be leaving me when I needed her the most.

A wave of sadness washed over me.

"Great news." Dean announced as he reentered the room. I turned and motioned for Dean to quiet down. "What's going on?" He whispered.

"Stephanie is the Alpha's mate." I whispered in response.

He smirked and nodded in approval, "I can see that."

"I just want them to have the moment to themselves and not feel rushed to come back in."

"C'mon love, let's get the table set and give them their privacy..." he sounded as he grabbed my hand.

His touch pulled my attention away from what was happening in my backyard. I smiled up at him, "so you said there was good news?"

He nodded, "Jax is taking the position of Beta."

I congratulated him and he waved it off like it was nothing. "So I guess you'd better start planning our introductory dinner." Jaxon said.

That gnawing feeling from deep within the pit of my stomach started up, "of course." I replied with false enthusiasm.

But my concern over the next "Luna Right" was pushed to the side the minute the back door opened and Steph walked in. Her face was unreadable but not in a bad way, I looked over at her new found mate and his face was just as undetectable. I suppose if things hadn't gone to either of their liking then I would assume one if not both would look upset or angry Or even left altogether.

We all congratulated Jaxon once again on becoming the new Beta of our pack, then we sat down for dinner.

The conversations came easy, there was never a dull or awkward moment amongst the five of us, with the exception of Jaxon who would drift off into his own little world every now and again.

When dinner came to an end Dean and Alpha Carter made their way into his office to discuss possible alliances between the two packs, Jaxon excused himself early so we told him goodnight before I rounded on Steph.

"Sooooo?"

She smiled, "it's nothing." She blushed.

Stephanie, my best friend forever was actually blushing over a guy.

I waited on bated breath for any little nugget of something.

She sighed and tried to hide a smirk, "I mean you already know Carter is my mate."

"Carter." I smiled, "so formal."

She smiled but rolled her eyes, "my wolf is so in tuned with his wolf...he hugged me, and sort of caressed my face, but it felt amazing."

I nodded excitedly. "That's it?"

She shrugged, "we talked a little, he's acknowledged me as his mate."

"Obviously."

"But he'd also like me to come out and visit him at his pack for a weekend...get the lay of the land and meet some of the people." She finished.

I hugged her, "that's great Stephanie."

She smiled in return, "I mean I knew he'd come along one day, just didn't know I'd have to leave my best friend and family to be with him."

My sadness came back. "Well no need to run off with him tomorrow...plus I'm going to need your help, Jax took on the position of Beta so there's going to be another ceremony."

"I'm sure Dean's mom won't mind getting everything together."

I made a face, "that's what I need help with...now don't get me wrong I love her to pieces, she just so...-"

"Lola." She offered and I agreed. "I get it, she can be very vocal and slightly pushy, but we know she means well."

I nodded in agreement, "yes, and as much as I'm not ready to be throwing another ceremony or more so hosting the council members again, I think it's time I took my Luna role more seriously."

"Talk with Dean, I'm sure he can talk to his mom for you."

I sighed, "I have a feeling I'm the one who has to talk with her, I just hope she doesn't feel like I don't want her input on anything anymore." I voiced my concern.

__________

"Tonight was successful." Dean said as he exited the attached restroom, drying his hair off with a towel.

I turned to watch him as I propped myself up on my elbows.

"Like what you see love?"

You know I do Pinecone." I replied playfully. "But more importantly, I wanted to talk with you."

"You can always talk to me Cassie, what's going on?" He asked as he took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"While I'm happy that we've gained Jaxon as our new pack Beta, I'm not exactly thrilled that we have to have another ceremony with council members and the entire pack." I admitted.

"I know it's stressful love, but it's necessary...the council has to acknowledge and accept who I've picked as my Luna and my Beta, and the pack needs to see us as a unit, the three in power."

I nodded. "I know it's necessary my Love, it's just...I haven't really felt like much of a Luna, and that's why I want to do this ceremony by myself."

He gave me an unknowing expression.

"Meaning no help from anyone."

My words made sense now, "Oh." He said with a sigh, "I'll talk with my mother-"

"No it's okay, I feel like I should be the one to tell her."

He moved and angled his body so that he was able to kiss me. "If you're sure...and hey, I promise...no more big events after this until we get married and even at that, no rush Love."

I smiled, "I'm going to hold you to that Dean Giles."