Chapter 9: Unusual Dreams

Matt Lanter as Isaac.

Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter (:

Ace's Pov:
In my desperate attempt to try and find a job, Phoenix suggested I go with him to the shop and observe what he does all day. Knowing Damon, he would more than likely give me a job if I asked but I didn't want to take advantage of our friendship like that. I wanted to prove to him I could do the job and obtain it fairly.

"I don't know why you are so nervous, you've known Damon as long as I have. He's practically family." Phoenix chuckled as we walked down the sidewalk to the shop.

I sighed and put my hands in my pockets. "I know but I don't want to just walk in there and get a job immediately because I'm good friends with the boss."

"You did mechanical work when you were in high school, it's not like you don't know what you're doing."

I didn't respond, I didn't really know what to say.

"Well just sit in and observe what I do today and then go and talk to him later. Calm down, Ace." He rubbed my shoulder before going to open the door to an average looking repair and auto shop.

I looked around and was immediately welcomed by the smell of gasoline. It reminded me a lot of auto shop in high school.

Phoenix stopped by the desk on the left side of the room and began to talk to a young, blonde guy. His blue eyes seemed to sparkle even from 10 feet away. He was extremely cute and was obviously nervous as Phoenix obtained his work for the day.

"Ace." I snapped my eyes up to meet Phoenix's and he gestured toward the blue eyed cutie. "You remember Chris, right? Damon's son."

My eyes widened as I took in his appearance, I hadn't even recognized him. He had grown into a mere image of his mother. The last time I had seen him, he was probably ten years old.

"Chris? Wow, I'm sorry I didn't even recognize you. How have you been?" We did an awkward one shoulder hug over his desk.

"Its cool. Things have been kinda hectic lately with this job and everything. You look great! I'm glad you're home." He gave me a look, and I knew his dad had probably informed him of my discharge.

"It's good to be home." I said truthfully.

Phoenix cleared his throat. "Well I'm going to get to work. Ace will be observing me for the day."

Chris's eyes shot up in surprise. "Oh? Potential employee?"

"Hope so." Phoenix gripped my arm and led me towards his work station. He got to work and I was immediately stunned by his newfound passion. I hadn't seen him pick up a pencil in years, it was so relieving to know that he never lost his passion for art. He certainly didn't lose his talent, the design he constructed on the motorcycle was amazing.

I stayed quiet, mainly because I was so entranced by Phoenix that I didn't have much to say. At the end of the day, Phoenix was chatting with Chris about upcoming projects. He suggested I go and discuss a possible position for me with Damon.

I couldn't go much longer without a job. It would certainly be difficult for me to adjust to an everyday job like this, but either way I would have people that I considered family surrounding me on a daily basis.

I took a deep breath and walked into Damon's office.

~

"I told you there was nothing to worry about." Phoenix jokingly pushed me to the side.

Damon had given me a chance to show him I could do the job. I would be working with Phoenix, he would do the artistic designs and I would be the mechanic. I was actually excited.