Chapter 11: Flowers

Matt Lanter as Isaac
Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter (:

Ace's Pov:
I held him in my arms as he shook with withering sobs. I hated seeing him this way, I fought the urge to ask him to talk to me. I heard some of what the kids said to him at the table but not enough for me to understand.

"I'm sorry." He hiccuped. "I shouldn't have put you in this position." He chuckled nervously.

My mind went straight into the gutter. It was like I was a horny teenager again. "Its fine, Jason. Do you want me to tell you what happened?"

He shook his head. "And not because of why you think, we would need a year for me to sit here and tell you everything."

I smoothed a small piece of hair that was in his face. "I have all the time in the world." I whispered.

We sat there staring at each other, still hugging each other as the last few tears escaped his eyes. Suddenly, he cleared his throat and looked away. "I should really get back to work."

He wiped his eyes and slowly untangled himself from me. "Thank you, I-I'm not sure what I would have done if you hadn't been here."

He stood up and wiped off his clothes. "I'll always be here." I muttered.

He looked down at me and gave me a small, sad smile. I looked down, I hated seeing that look on his face. Mainly because I wanted to see him happy and smiling at all times but also because he was giving me that look to tell me that this didn't change anything.

This little moment that we had, didn't change the fact that he wasn't ready for the seriousness that would come with a relationship.

I still couldn't stop, I didn't want to lose him before I even had the chance to have him.

Even if I had to just be friends with him for a few weeks, even a few months, I would. I would do it until he learned to trust me.

Maybe I could be the one person he talked to, maybe I could be the person to heal him.

I sighed and stood up from the bench and walked back out to the dining area. I spotted Jason on the other end of the diner and Scarlett serving the table of teens. They must have switched sections for the night to accommodate for the incident from earlier.

I walked over to our table and sat in front of Phoenix. "He looks better." He said as I sat down.

I glanced back at him. "Yeah, he had a lot of to let go of in there." He looked at me. "What?"

"I'm proud of you. You went to him without even thinking twice and you managed to cheer him up enough to finish the night."

"Why does that make you proud of me." I took a bite of the food on my plate and was happy to find out it hadn't gone cold yet.

"Because I haven't seen you so invested in another person since Isaac. Regardless of what you think, that's a good thing, Ace. You deserve to be happy and he would have wanted you happy."

I swallowed and set my fork down. "Its scary. The feelings that I get when I am around Jason remind me so much of the feelings I had around Isaac. I loved him, he was my first love and he was ripped away from me. I will never understand why that had to happen to him but I never imagined moving on. I'm scared but I'm more scared of letting him go."

He gave me a sympathetic look. "Then you need to keep doing what you're doing. Be there for him, but let him come to you at his own pace. From the looks of It, he wants you too. He's just as scared as you are, he just doesn't know how to handle it."