Chapter 23: The Doctor Is In

Just because I love House.
Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter.

Ace's Pov:
"This is a mistake, you know that don't you?" I looked over at Charlie. We were sitting in the waiting room of the hospital. Jason had taken Tyler to the bathroom giving me some alone time with Charlie.

"I think it's the right thing to do. I'm protecting my wife."

"By lying to her? When she finds out, she is going to be really upset."

He scoffed. "And how would she find out?"

I looked at him wide eyed. "How about the medical bills that are going to be sent to your house? Or the fact that you are going to be bed ridden in this hospital for weeks? What about the giant scar the surgery is going to leave?"

"You just had to rub that in didn't you?" He leaned forward and put his head in his hands.

"That only reason I'm telling you this is because I don't want to see your relationship fall apart over this. I know you don't want to stress her out, but she deserves to know. If this happened to her, wouldn't you be upset if she didn't tell you?"

"Don't even talk about something like this even happening to her." He snapped. "I get what you're saying but even if I did tell her, how would I be able to convince her to stay in bed while I handle this?"

"That is something you need to decide together. This may be your health, but you guys need to talk to about this together." I looked up and spotted Jason and Tyler walking hand and hand back over to us. "Trust me when I say she would want to know this is happening to you. You should call her."

He sighed. "After the appointment. Maybe."

"I guess I'll have to take that." I looked up and smiled at Jason. "Hey, baby."

He sat down next to me and placed Tyler on his lap. "Hey, how are you doing, Charlie?"

He gave him a thumbs up and a lazy smile. "Dandy."

"Charlies Grafton." The doctor was a male, he was probably a little under six foot with dark hair, but it looked to be getting silver. He walked over to Charlie and shook his hand. "I am Doctor Stewart and I received your medical history from your superiors and I would like to talk to you more about them and about your options."

Charlie nodded and glanced at the three of us. "Would it be okay if they came? For moral support."

Stewart nodded with a smile and beckoned us down the hall to his office. It was roomy, it felt like a shrinks office. It was very white and smelled like air fresheners and bleach.

Charlie sat in the chair in front of his desk, I decided to take the seat next to him. Jason and Tyler made themselves comfortable on the leather couch in the corner.

"Now, I know this all must come to a shock to you. Kidney problems aren't very common for a man in his twenties. While this is uncommon, it may also be the reason you survive this." Stewart wandered over to the x-ray machine on the far wall.

He placed Charlie's x-rays in the machine and turned on the light. "Judging by what your doctors told me over the phone and by what I read in your file, you have a very good chance of making a full recovery. We must take care of this as soon as possible though before it spreads."

"How soon could I get the procedure done?" Charlie asked.

Stewart turned the light on the machine off and sat down in his desk. "We could get the procedure done in a few days. You will need to be here for a few weeks after the surgery for healing and observation and you will need to abstain from alcohol-" he paused as if asking Charlie if this would be a problem.