Chapter 22: Charlie

Evan Peters as Charlie.
Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter.

Jason's Pov:
I have never seen Ace look so scared and heartbroken. I didn't know what was happening, but judging by the look on his face it was bad. I didn't want to ask, just in case he didn't want to talk about it, or maybe I was afraid he would get mad at me. I kept my arms around him and waited for him to start talking.

I knew he was hurting despite the stoic look he tried to keep on his face. He laid next to me, tense, but he still let me hold him. "My friend is hurt."

I raised my eyebrows even though he couldn't see my face. "What do you mean?"

He sighed. "I got a call asking me to meet a friend of mine at the airport. He wouldn't ask for me unless he was hiding something from his wife."

"That doesn't mean you have to expect the worst. Do you want me to go with you?"

He shook his head. "You have to take care of Tyler, I'll be okay. I just need to talk to Charlie and see what happened. The last I heard, he was supposed to be deporting soon to be with his wife and child. He made the commitment, he said he was ready to leave. I don't know what happened."

He sounded like he might cry but he just curled into my side. "I feel bad for using Damon's truck again, I'm going to need to work some serious overtime." He chuckled despite his sadness.

I ran my hands through his hair until the alarm went off at seven. I jerked awake and he jumped out of bed. He turned the alarm off and got dressed so quick I didn't even realize what was happening until he started talking to me. "I changed my mind."

My head snapped up. "About what?"

"I want you and Tyler to come with me. I want him to meet you and I-" he paused. "I don't know if I can do this alone." He admitted quietly.

My gaze softened. "I'll go wake him up and get him dressed." He sighed in relief, I got up and walked down the hall to Tyler's room. He was sleeping but he looked to be a little restless as he slept. I felt guilty for waking him up, but a good meal will help him.

"Wake up." I shook him gently and watched as he peeled his sleepy eyes open and looked over at me. He took his small hands and rubbed at his eyes.

"Why so early?" He didn't sound like a little boy excited to be awake. He sounded like a teenager that hated life.

"We are going on a little unexpected field trip." I wanted to make it sound a bit more exciting for him, I was hoping to brighten his mood.

He sat up quickly and looked at me with bright eyes. "Where?"

I chuckled at his excitement, but decided he needed to be better composed for what was in store for him. "We are going to go to the airport to meet a friend of Ace's, I'm going to need you to be on your best behavior, can you do that for me?"

He nodded frantically. "I promise."

I nodded back at him with a smile. "Good." I got him some clothes out of one of his suitcases and helped him get dressed. I dressed him in a T shirt and a pair of jeans. "What pair of sneakers do you want to wear?" I asked him.

"The red pair." He pointed and I put them on his feet. He watched as I tied his shoes with fascination. "Can you teach me how to do that?"

I smiled. "Of course, I'll teach you soon."

I finished getting him dressed before walking into the living room, I turned some cartoons on for him and got him a bowl of cereal. I rubbed his head and wandered into the bedroom to get dressed and check on Ace. He was pacing across the room with the phone wedged between his ear and shoulder. He glanced at me but didn't stop talking to whoever was on the other line. I walked over to my backpack and threw on some clothes, I sat on the bed and waited for Ace to talk to me.