Chapter 34

In Sherwood Forest Robin and Esme are still running. Exhausted Esme drops to walk as thunder rumbles. Robin stops at the top of a hill, looking around while waiting for her to catch him up.

"What do you think you’re doing? This Nightwatchman business will be the death of you." He asked her worried for her. He wouldn't lose her to matrimony to Guy or by death of Gisborne's hand as he steps back down to Esme.

"But these are my last days as the Nightwatchman. I will not be able to do it when I am at Locksley." Esme responded dejectedly as she had slowly come to face the fact she would marry Guy.

"You do not have to go back to Locksley. I told you. You do not have to marry him." He reminded her as he shakes his head as thunder rumbles again. Robin turns and takes a few more steps forwards.

"I have no choice." Her voice was broken causing him to turn around. He refused to see his light lose hope.

"No! I was coming to tell you. I have the proof I need. The physician. The physician will talk. I found him and he agreed to give evidence. He did not treat Gisborne. Gisborne was not there. He was in the Holy Land." He informed her as he saw spirits brightening in her eyes as she smiled weakily.

"And he will say this in public?" She asked as Robin nods, smiling. Esme chuckles in relief. A bird flutters loudly nearby and Robin puts his hand on Esme’s shoulder and listens for trouble.

"Really?" She whispered as Robin nods at her, smiling.

"Thank you." She hugged him tightly half smiling, half ready to cry. Esme puts her hand on his on her shoulder. "I do not know how to thank you."

Robin slowly began to caresses her cheek, Esme thought he meant it in a brotherly gesture for the feeling of comfort, when Robin desired it out of romance.

"We’ll think of something. Come on!" He winked and cheered her to chase him like they did when they were younger as Robin runs up the hill causing Esme to laugh and smile. Suddenly her smile falters as she lets out a soft moan of pain, but she ignores it and turns to follow. She takes a step, then suddenly gasps sharply and collapses to her knees as Robin stops at the top of the rise and looks around.

"Robin?" Esme called out weakly as Esme chokes, looking up helplessly and grimaces in pain.

"Esme?" Robin’s voice echoes as he quickly runs to her and she blacks out.

*************

"Esme! Don't stray too far!" I heard my mother shout out as I laughed pulling the reigns to my horse as he slowed down. I turned around to see my mother riding towards me with a grin as her hair flowed after her. We were deep in Sherwood Forest as we continued to race and laugh as we enjoyed spending the day out in the fresh air.

Hearing the sound of panicked birds and snapping of twigs we both paused and glanced around at the empty surroundings. Hearing the sound of an arrow leaving a bow and the thud of the arrow landing into the wood just missing my mother we both screamed and took off.

"Ride faster Esme! No matter what don't look back!" She shouted before I heard a sudden scream out behind me.

"MUMMY!" I screamed glancing over my shoulder watching her fall off her shoulder before I felt something slam into me causing me to fall and black out……

*************

Little John enters the cave, dripping wet from the rain. He storms past Much and Djaq by the fire, tosses down his staff and hangs his coat up on a protruding rock in the wall. Much looks at him questioningly, holding his cap on a stick over the fire to dry.