Chapter 44

I want to thank tragicallyinlove for the amazing cover :) I love it. Enjoy the next chapter sorry for keeping you all waiting

Loveyourtalent x

- Chapter 44 -

It's show time! The great hall is well lit by countless candles and well decorated. Men and ladies of the court and other characters of pleasure strolled around tables and cheered or groaned to their success or failure. I was dressed in a black gown too tight and revealing for my comfort but I knew that after tonight I will burn these gowns. I watched as the Count’s men carry the money chest into the Hall.

"Put it here." The Count instructed to his men as they put the chest on a table by a small iron door in a pillar. As he stood by it I casually walked over to him as we dismissed his men so they could get into position as they bowed before leaving.

"There. The money you lose tonight goes into that. It connects directly to the strong room below. Now once it’s in there—" I informed pointing to the small door in the wall where the money would go before the Count interrupted me.

"Ja, ja, I know. Our outlaw friends will steal it back for me. It seems unfair. No gambler likes to lose, even on purpose." He pouted as I chuckled.

"Well, if you win, the Sheriff will never let you leave Nottingham alive." I teased though my message gave a strict warning as he reconsidered the thought and muttered in agreement. He led me to the craps table where I sighed slightly still not seeing any sign of the Sheriff or Guy.

"Now play as long as you can." I whispered as he nodded.

"Take your time. And then, when we get the signal, start losing." We smirked to each other before he carelessly threw the dice. Winning obviously as I stayed by his side bored but also slightly nervous. My nerves were put at ease slightly when I saw the Sheriff enter the room as I saw him eyeing the Count's money before making his way in our direction.

"Count Friedrich. Fortune awaits. Good luck." He chuckled as the Count is stacking chips on the rail at the end of the craps table.

"Lady Esme is my good luck charm for this evening." The Count flirted as I flinched slightly with a forced smile. Even though he seemed nice enough for being a friend. Hearing him flirt carelessly still made me wince as the Sheriff smirked at me as I gave a deep sigh. The Count tosses the dice carelessly while looking at the Sheriff. I watched them as they finished on a 4 and a 3.

"The Count wins!" He smirked as I gave his forearm a slightly squeeze in support. This kept going for at least another hour into the night as the Count kept on winning. I could see the Sheriff getting annoyed by the luck the Count had as I watched them from the corner of my eye. To say I was relieved when I saw Djaq coming down the stairs was an understatement. I watched as she takes a pitcher from the small table base of the stairs nodding to me eagerly as I smirk.

"They’re in. Better start losing." I whisper as the Count looks at the dice and tosses them carelessly. Guy and the Sheriff walk slowly towards the Count’s back as the Count grimaces.

"If that’s the way he loses, you might have to use your contingency plan sooner than expected." I heard Guy behind me as I gulped slightly. Unfortunately the Count was having no luck losing as I bit my bottom lip. Time is running out as Djaq came to fill up my goblet.

"Esme." She urgently whispered.

"We have to start losing." I warned to the Count as he grumbled.

"I’m doing my best." He hissed under his breath annoyed to why he was still winning.

"Time is running out." I warned as I soon gave the Count the look. We had a plan B and we needed to put it into action otherwise we will never lose.