|Chapter 9| Time

So this took a little while longer to update because:
1) I was on vacation and set my phone on Airplane Mode for 74% of the time I was gone

2) Chronologically, the story didn't make sense. So I had to switch some things around so it wasn't like, "woah woah woah, Erza and Jellal waited ALL DAY to do THIS ONE THING." So that was a thing.

3) I cracked my phone while I was away and I'm still devastated

So sorry! In other words school starts in 2 weeks so I'm excited for that.

Yeah no. School can die in a hole.

Anyway, enjoy this please! (Lol)

. . .

I... I didn't know...

...

"I..." Gale pursed his lips, thinking. "No, I could only smell the iron, the blood." That sickening blood.

"Are you sure?" Jellal asked, really trying not to put pressure on Gale, but failing. After all, it's Jellal. Much less Erza's husband.

Gale nodded as he leaned against a frozen tree they were speaking next to. He was positive nothing else had been there. There was Sylvia... The blood...

He furrowed his eyebrows. Nothing else? Nothing?

After a realization, Gale blinked, "wait, something's not adding up."

Erza rose an eyebrow. He found something they skipped over completely. She was very curious as to what it was. She placed a hand on her hip as the other one rested on her side. Jellal stood next to her, folding his arms, intrigued.

"The blood is the only scent I can remember, do you two see a problem with that?" Gale had his fingers around his chin. Thinking.

Jellal and Erza glanced at each other before nodding.

"We missed that," Erza said. "Caleb was there too, wasn't he." It was more like a statement than a question.

Gale hummed, "I always remember his scent, since its so peculiar." Peculiar, as in he smelled the exact same as Cana, which was extremely rare to come by, to have the exact same smell as someone else. Gale supposed that he actually changed his scent, so he could pretend he was related to Cana.

"Were you in shock?" Jellal asked seemingly out of the blue.

Gale was taken back by the question, "what?"

"Were you in shock? Its possible that when you saw Sylvia, you blocked everything out. Everything that wasn't sitting right in front of you," Jellal explained.

The Dragon slayer thought. "I don't... remember..."

"That settles it," Erza brought up.

Gale lifted his head, "what?" He thought it was a bit too quick to make assumptions.

Erza's eyes shifted to Jellal, then back at Gale, "someone did something to your memory."

"What makes you say that?" Gale asked, he dropped his arm and stuffed it in his pant pocket. After all, Jellal could very well be right. Maybe he was in shock, maybe all he cared about was the scene in front of him.

He cared about Sylvia, very much so. The fact that he didn't care about anything else in the moment didn't surprise him, so what would make Erza say that someone did something to him?

"For as long as I've known you, and heard of you, you've never been one to forget anything," Erza pointed out. "After the battle on Ivan's ship, did you forget anything after finding out that Storm had passed?"