✿ Chapter Eight - Vaughn

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓
Samantha
┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Today was officially the last day with the last meeting and the ball. The meetings up till today were all five hours long and boring as shit. As about sharing my hotel room with my boss, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I wasn't sure why, but he let me sleep in the bed, he let me go to the bathroom first, even if it was clear he needed to go and he didn't mention a single thing about me sleeping with him.

It went better than I expected in all honesty. As normal and as boring as it could be, nothing interesting. Now, I was waiting in a seat behind Mr Black in a large meeting room with a tablet and a smart pen to note down the essential things mentioned. This last meeting was really filled with most businessmen from the world, and in all honesty, I was hoping I didn't see one.

A few minutes passed and more men came. Koreans, Chinese, Americans Europeans of all types and Australians, one of each, some having a personal assistant behind them. Mr Black sat with the King, whom I saw it was the one who had the best spread business, and with the Sawyer, who was second. They were both American. They had a long talk, neither bothering to pay attention to the men continuing to enter the hall.

I, on the other hand, I felt dread in my stomach every time I saw those doors open. I was so happy to see they stopped and the meeting started, as boring as ever, with different themes in the game. I figured most were enemies, but at the same time they were friends and allies. It was weird, yet interesting.

The doors opened one last time halfway to the middle of the meeting, a face I did not expect to see appearing in my view. He didn't see me at that moment, his eyes searching for the seat in which he could sit, his mouth ahead of him, apologizing for being late. I couldn't believe it was him and not... it didn't matter. All I wanted was to go up to him and squeeze him in my arms for what he did for me. I wanted to thank him so many times I would've choked.

But I didn't. That would've been too inappropriate for a meeting filled with men and some women among. It was better if I acted as if I didn't see him and went on with the meeting. It definitely would've been best.

As said, that was what I did. I acted as if I didn't see him and noted down the essential things, listening to what was said about productivity and what businesses were failing and stuff like that. When the meeting was finished, we all got up to leave, which just like that I allowed myself to look at him. He didn't look any changed than two years ago, but he did look different. His eyes met mine, and at that moment he paled. In an instant, his brows rose up high and his jaw dropped, looking like he just saw a ghost. More exactly, a ghost of the past.

I gave him a weak smile, nodding at him towards the doors. He just blinked in return his eyes remaining glued to me.

"Samantha, are you coming?" Mr Black rose a brow at me, looking me swiftly up and down.

"Of course, Mr Black." I replied. His palm urged me to go ahead of him, which I hesitated a bit, but then gave in, not seeing the point in not going.

He leaned closer to my ear, his frown drawing his brows weirdly. "Are you alright?"

I frowned myself at his question. "Yes, why do you ask, sir?"

"You seemed a bit pale when I looked at you earlier. Are you sure you're alright?"

"I just remembered I left my phone at the hotel." Which was also true.