Can We Make This Work? - Andre Burakovsky Part 2

It had been almost six months since the incident in Vegas

It had been almost six months since the incident in Vegas. For the most part we had managed to stay on task with our plan. It was simple, pretend to be married for 6 months then we could say we had a falling out and were getting a divorce. At least, it seemed simple enough.

Over the months there were moments it felt like it could all be real, like we belonged together and the unexpected marriage was all part of a bigger plan to make us see that. Other times, I couldn't wait to get divorced...because I wanted it to be real and it was clear to me he didn't.

We had moved into a nice place together. Once the doors were shut and it was just us, things were different. We had our own separate rooms and pretty much did our own thing most of the time. Those times, I felt like we were roommates. Other times, especially when we would decide to have dinner together or watch a movie together or...do anything together, it felt like what I imagined a marriage should actually feel like.

The people who were basically in charge of Andre's reputation, and now mine, were brilliant. They had thought of every little thing. They really knew what they were doing.

As the time frame they gave us of having to stay married drew to a close, one part of me was happy I wouldn't have to hide or pretend anymore, the other part of me was sad to see it ending. I had grown closer to Andre and loved spending time with him. It was clear to me he had no interest in this situation other than to get through it and put it behind him so I followed his lead. As much as I would actually love to be with him, I couldn't risk telling him and losing him all together.

It was the night before we could announce our divorce and we were having dinner with everyone as one last show so we could prove we really did try to make it work.

"You almost ready?" Andre asked pushing the door open to my room.

"I'm ready" I smiled putting the last pin in my hair.

"You look beautiful" he smiled.

He did always manage to find a way to make my stomach erupt with butterflies.

"Thank you, and you look handsome as always" I stated passing him and making my way to the front door.

The ride to the restaurant was silent, not a bad silence but a different silence. As we settled into our seats at the restaurant, I suddenly craved Andre's presence. I wasn't sure if it was the fact that this would be over soon or if it was the fact that I desperately didn't want this to be over but either way, it was eating at me.

I scooted my seat a little closer to him, hoping he wouldn't notice. He did. Before I knew what was happening I felt his hand gently rest against my knee, bringing a smile to my face.

All through dinner there were light touches, knowing glances and heart melting smiles exchanged. No one could say that we didn't try to make our marriage work by looking at us.