Lonelyhearts ||14||

I am unsure about many things in my life. Most of the things, in fact. Love, being one of them.

I am unsure about it.

I don't know how it feels to love someone.

I never have.

After losing my parents, I never could gather the courage to love again. But somewhere, I wanted to change that.

But, whom could I change it with?

Karthik was leaning against his car, beside me, reading some emails on his phone. The night breeze flowing through his hair, making it messy.

I was devouring my chocolate ice cream, lost in my thoughts while watching him engrossed in his work.

Karthik.

Could there be a day when we will feel love for each other?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

"It's getting cold out here" Karthik said, putting his phone in his pocket and then looked at me. Catching me off guard, staring at him.

I quickly averted my gaze from him and focused on my ice cream.

"Yeah, yeah it is" I said, trying to act casual.

Taking another bite, I looked back at him. He was already looking at me. His honey brown eyes, looking darker in the dullness of the night.

What would it be like, to fall in love with him?

"You want to take some home?" He asked me, oblivious of my weird thoughts.

I looked at him, blank.

What?

"Ice cream" he pointed at the cone, I was holding.

"Oh yes, please"

We went inside the ice cream shop again and bought all my favorite flavors.

"Thank you for... all this" I thanked him as we exited the shop. The cool breeze again hitting us.

He looked at me as we stopped in front of his car.

"It's alright. I anyway wanted to get some fresh air" he told me, nonchalantly.

I nodded.

We got into the car and he started driving. Slow, soothing music playing on the radio.

"You seem in a good mood today" I said, smiling a little, looking at Karthik.

He indeed was in a different mood. One I had barely seen in all these days I'd spent with him. He's the only person who treated me so rudely. But also, he's the only person to take me out in the middle of the night to get me ice cream!

He scoffed, and a faint smile appeared on his lips.

"We locked the deal we've been working on so hard" he told me, keeping his gaze fixed on the road.

Oh. Maybe that's why he was barely home these days. The light dark circles appearing underneath his eyes also explained that how much work he was doing.

"That's good news" I smiled.

I wanted to tell him that he shouldn't work so much. But I kept quite.

Not that he would listen, anyways.

I was liking this new found civility between us. Somewhere I knew that it was temporary. I knew that it wouldn't take long for Karthik to turn into his- rude, arrogant and ignorant -self. But still, the thought that he, at some moment, cared for me enough to fulfill my stupid craving, made my heart flutter with hope.