The Perfect Wife ||17||

And if she was here today, she would have never chosen me... for you.

His words were echoing in my ears.

Why did he say that?! And the pain in his voice? What was that about?

And suddenly it looked like... I am not the only one suffering.

I went to my room and washed my face with water.

I am not the person I was when your mother was alive.

Why would Karthik say that? Has he done something wrong in the past? 

In the letter also, that he had written in his diary to M that day, he wrote something about forgiving himself! Something like, he can never forgive himself. And also, that night it almost looked like head a nightmare!

Is he guilty about something?

I was lost in my thoughts when suddenly a loud sound of glass shattering came from Karthik's room, startling me.

What's happening?!

I hurriedly went there and knocked on his door.

"Are you okay, Karthik?!" I asked while knocking.

No response. 

The force with which the crashing sound came, it looked like Karthik had forcefully smashed the glass on the floor.

What's he up to?

"Karthik, please open the door"

I was worried about Karthik and I wanted to check on him. But he wasn't opening the door, only increasing my worry.

"Karthik, please open the door!" I said with more urgency this time.

"Just... go away, Mira!" Karthik shouted from the other side, sounding frustrated and extremely angry.

"No, I won't! Open the door now, Karthik" I shouted back.

He didn't respond.

I knocked furiously for some more time but it was of no use. He wasn't replying to anything. 

Having no other option, I ran downstairs to grab the bunch of keys to open his door. I didn't want to invade his privacy like this but, I had to make sure that he was okay! 

I fumbled with the keys while opening the door, knowing that it would make him more angry. When the door unlocked, I slowly opened it and found Karthik sitting on the edge of his bed, his face lowered, looking at his feet and his hands fisting his hair on the back of his head. He looked like, he was trying to control himself from doing or damaging anything else in anger. I then looked around and found the jug of water, shattered on the floor in tiny pieces.

What's happening with him? Is he still angry with me? 

He hadn't noticed my presence in his room till now, so I slowly went near him and hesitantly placed my hand on his shoulder. In that moment, I wasn't afraid from him but by looking at his condition, I was afraid for him. 

As soon as my hand came in contact with his body, he jerked and looked at me with wide, red eyes. He then looked at the open door and understood how I entered his room, looking the at keys hanging from the doorknob.

"Karthik, relax." I said, calmly, for I knew asking him the reason behind this sudden outburst will only increase his anger.

"I told you to go, Mira. Please! For once! Listen to me and leave me alone" He snapped.