Can't Come Close ||18||

Karthik's Point of View:

Dead silence. That's what I've been living in for the last two years.

Even if a little noise stirs that silence, it turns into an ear splitting din, which causes something, like what happened yesterday.

I went downstairs, into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee.

An essential for living.

"I made breakfast today"

I turned around to find Mira coming towards the kitchen, smile on her face.

Not replying, I waited for my mug to get filled with coffee.

Why is this damned machine taking so long?!

"I said I made breakfast today. I was making for myself, but then I made some for you, too. Have it?" She said again.

"I have breakfast at office. Thanks." I replied, nonchalantly.

Grabbing my cup of coffee, I exited the kitchen and sat on the sofa, checking the emails on my laptop.

"You can change it for a day, Karthik"

I looked at her again.

She won't let it go, will she?

"I've made extra. It'll go waste."

She was setting up two plates on the dining table, serving, what seemed like, French toasts.

"You didn't have to cook for me." I said.

I really didn't want or expect her to do anything for me at all.

Not even what she did yesterday...

"But I did! Now come"

She was done serving and was now standing with her hands on her waist, looking at me.

Not wanting to disrespect her efforts, which she must've put into cooking, I got up from the sofa and went to the dining table, taking my coffee with me.

"Thank you" she said, smiling.

For agreeing to eat?

Seriously?!

I sat on my chair and started eating. Mira also sat on my right and started having her own food.

"You know what, Karthik. You're just like a lizard" she said, giggling.

A what?

"Excuse me?"

"Yes. You know you're so silent and so in your own self, but still so scary to come close to! Just like them" she explained, laughing.

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard" I said and resumed eating.

Why is this girl so childish?

"Might be. But I can't stop laughing"

I didn't pay much attention to her after that and concentrated on finishing the food. Once done, I got up from the chair and went to the kitchen to wash my plate and coffee mug.

"Let it be, Karthik. I'll use the dishwasher and clean everything." Mira interrupted.

Nodding, I left it there and went back to the living area. Putting the laptop in my office bag, I grabbed my blazer and started walking towards the main door when,

"Karthik!" Mira called me from behind with an urgency in her voice.

I turned around and found her very close, running towards me. My turning around made her stumble on her feet and she lost her balance, falling backwards.