02 | paparazzi

_________________

_________________

P A P A R A Z Z I

_________________

Kathy: (bumps into Joe) Oh, I'm sorry!

Joe: It's cool. Have we met?

Kathy: No. (looks down shyly) I'm Kathy.

Joe: Joe. (shakes hand)

Narrator (Joe): I never believed in love at first sight. Until the day I met Kathy.

__________________

A R I E L L E

_________________

I wiped the corner of my eyes with my fingertips, failing to hold back my inevitable tears. I tried so hard to be optimistic, to realize that every successful person started from the bottom, but it didn't help at all. In all honesty, reassuring thoughts just don't help when you're on the verge of letting your dreams crumble to pieces.

They told me to follow my dreams, but they never told me which path to follow.

Soon, it became a persistent pattern for me to give everything I have for an audition, only for them to release me and call for the next person without any acknowledgement of my acting ability.

"How did it go?" Tess asked, even though it was evident that she knew the answer.

"It sucked," I sighed, holding the phone against my ear as I walked passed the many shops of Los Angeles. "It was almost as if they were glad to send the next person in."

"You don't know that! They might actually call you back this time!" I could hear the pity drip from her voice. "Just think about it this way; you still have as many Oscars as Leonardo Di-"

"You could say this joke a million more times and I will never laugh!" I say, repressing a grin. "At this point, I just need to be noticed. I could be in a film as relevant as Lindsay Lohan and I will be satisfied." We talked for a few more seconds until I hung up and continued walking home.

And then, the inevitable happened.

I decided to look away from the sidewalk. For that one millisecond I had not been looking, I was blocking my vision of a person walking hurriedly towards my way. Who knew, that an every day decision could easily be what others would call fate.

A curse escaped my lips as my chest collided with his. I fell awkwardly into his arms as he grabbed both my shoulders to steady me. I gritted my teeth because of course this happened. I gave him a shy nod, indicating a thank you, and yearned to leave the uncomfortable situation as soon as humanly possible.