03 | interviews

_________________

_________________

I N T E R V I E W S

_________________

Kathy: I'm not interested in dating a player like you, Joe! (pushes Joe away) Don't you think I've heard enough of what people say about you and how you break girls' hearts?

Joe: (sincerely) You're different.

Kathy: I bet that's what you say to all of your girls.

_________________

A R I E L L E

_________________

The camera flashed in my eyes, bright opaque lights blinding my sight. I backed away with small steps and attempted hiding my face with the palm of my hands. It scarcely worked. I slammed the doors shut and tried not to look directly at the paparazzi.

How did they find my job? I've only been spotted with Aaron yesterday. I looked at a customer giving me a dirty look, who seemed to have recognized my face. She left.

"Get out! You're trespassing my property!" my boss screeched, shutting the blinds against the window pane. He pressed his palm to his forehead and sighed, "What's going on out there?"

I tampered with my fingers, concealing my embarrassment. This is my boss, I have to seem confident. I gulped, "I-I don't know."

"Well what do you suppose we do?" He crossed his arms, his mustache poking out from his scrunched nose. "I can't just let them roam here and attack my business! Their constant presence is going to drive my customers away!" He paused for a moment and looked down to the floor. "Arielle, do you understand what this means?"

I clutched the bottom of my shirt, pursing my lips. The tears were trying to force their way through, but I strived to stay confident, or at least okay-looking. "No! You can't do this! I've been working at this cafe since I was a sophomore in high school! You're just going to throw away all my work, just like that?"

He didn't answer me, but simply pointed to the back door. I grabbed my purse and stormed out the store, giving my boss the death glare. As I walked out into the open, the awaiting paparazzi began screaming in my ears as I felt their enthusiasm plummet. I just need to walk to my car, then they'll be gone. I covered my face and walked to the parking lot.

"Who are you, mystery girl?!!"

"Why are you cheating with Aaron on Liv?"

"Hey, lady! Look over here! Here, now!" a reporter yelped, his camera inches from my face. I looked up subconsciously. He smiled eerily and questioned, "What do you have to say to Aaron now?"