Twenty. - Nonsensical

The minute Mrs. Nickels dropped me and Cassandra off at school, we both ran frantically to our next class. It was a good thing Mrs. Nickels helped us call the school beforehand—as explained by herself while she was in the car driving—or else we wouldn’t even be allowed to miss first period. Since it was Friday, Cassandra and I didn’t have any classes together and plus she had to see a teacher during recess, so the matter between her and Matt had to wait, regardless of how the degree of my being bothered by the problem multiplied more than anticipated.

                After school, I went to the café as usual. I can now recognize regular customers and some of them even greeted me first! What was once my source of income in hopes of buying a new prom dress has now become kind of a leisure of mine, in a way. I never thought having a job could be of enjoyment, but I guess if you really like your job, it could be fun.

                Once I got out of the Staff Only room—after changing into my uniform—I stopped midway walking and almost tripped on my own foot, as if I forgot how to walk. I had to rub my eyes twice to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating.

                “Oh, Eryn, you’re here. He’s been asking for you,” Grace stopped beside me and pointed at the guy I was looking at. She then resumed her walk to the counter—where she was really headed to. My words came too slow and she was gone before I could even thank her.

                I inhaled a lungful of air before going towards the table Grace mentioned. I don’t know why, but there was a string of mixed up emotions inside of me upon seeing him. My heart beat faster and faster with every timid step I took. My mind was a blur, yet it was clearly working, because I could tell this was not a mirage. He’s really here.

                “Hey,” he said casually with a smile.

                “Dillan, what are you doing here?” I asked.

                “Do you have to ask that question every time I show up?” he asked me back, with that smile still stuck on his face.

                I smiled sheepishly. I never noticed that.

                “I’m being a customer today, so you better serve me well or I’ll make sure it’ll come off your pay check.”

                I laughed. “As if Mr. Gardner’s going to do that.”

                “It’s been awhile.”

                “What?” I asked, confused at his sudden statement.

                “Since I’ve been here,” he said and looked around the place, as if having flashbacks. I remembered he said he loved working here—even though technically he wasn’t working—so I could tell he seemed to miss the café.

                “Why don’t you start working again?” I suggested. Frankly, at the back of my mind, there was the thought of wanting him to work again to get an earlier pay. I mean, I wouldn’t force him to work again for my convenience or anything. Sometimes there are some things that couldn’t be helped, and in this case it’s that thought. It just appeared, no matter how much of a goodie-two-shoe I think I am, there’s always this other more selfish side of me.

                “I’d love to, of course. But I’m going to study in Boston in about ten days. The flight’s already been booked.”

                “Whoa, that’s great,” I said, but could feel my heart sank immediately after that. To avoid the feeling morphing into a facial expression, I quickly added, “Which college are you studying at?”