One. - Dress to Impress

"I still think it's a little early to shop for prom dresses though," my best friend, Cassandra said.

We were walking down the pavement, surrounded by dozens of clothing stores, hands still empty. Our motive wasn't to shop for just any type of clothing. The only store we were heading to was the one flooded with dresses.

Correction, I.

My mother provided me with only a hundred dollars to buy a prom dress and shoes and accessories to go along with it. I for one thought it wasn't enough. Prom was a once in a lifetime event. It was a part of high school I wanted to remember. With wonderful memories at that. A part of that memory included a lovely dress. As thankful as I was, I wanted to look not just good, but dazzling. So, early shopping was the way to go. I had to buy those affordable items before it was sold out.

"No harm in planning ahead," as I told Cassandra, our feet stopped at the sight of exquisitely crafted dresses behind the glass window of a dress shop. We stood in awe. I immediately knew I wanted the dress being displayed on the mannequin. When I turned to Cassandra, she was already in the store, looking excitedly at all the dresses. Her childlike expression was beaming.

She wasn't the only one. Rows and rows of dresses were surrounding me. Nothing but. I couldn't help throwing myself into the clothing racks. From pink to black. White to green. They have every colour imaginable. My hands automatically picked out a few pastel dresses for me to try on. As I went over to the dressing room, Cassandra already beat me there. She walked out with a cute mint green baby doll dress, posing in front of the mirror provided.

"I still think it's a little early to shop for prom dresses though," I said, mimicking Cassandra's tone.

She smiled sheepishly. "No harm in planning ahead."

I giggled. "I think you should get that," I said, observing the dress hugging Cassandra. I thought the color fit her low profile and sweet demeanor. And the type of dress made her look beyond cute.

She looked at the price tag and wrinkled her eye brows. She started mumbling something to herself, stretching out her fingers as she did. It looked like she was counting. The dress was probably a little pricier than usual. "I think I can afford it next month," she said, "When I get my allowance and the money from doing house chores..." she tilted her head up, recounting again, "Yeah."

I forgot how lucky Cassandra was, getting extra allowance for doing chores. I'd be stinking rich if I was her. "You should ask the saleslady to reserve it, you know, just in case."

She nodded and walked back in the dressing room to change. I went in the one next to hers.

I tried all the dresses I picked out-the ones I could afford-and it was all okay... but I was still attracted to the one displayed on the mannequin. I walked out the dressing room and asked the lady by the counter for the dress. I held it with a smile on my face, almost running in the dressing room.

The dress on the mannequin was a mullet dress. Short at the front, long at the back. Waist above, it was tight; below, very flowy and slightly tiered. And, it was navy blue in color, which I loved. The combination of everything was simple and elegant, and totally my cup of tea. But when I looked at the price tag, my face fell. It was way out of my budget. I needed two hundred more, for the dress alone. What about shoes and accessories?

I did what I told Cassandra to do: ask if I could reserve the dress. I told the saleslady I might buy it, no confirmation. I had no idea where to get that much money. She said, "I'm sorry, miss but that would be unfair to the other customers." Because I wasn't the only one who saw that dress. Other girls might want it, too. If I couldn't buy it in the end, it wouldn't be fair to the other potential owners. I hate it when the saleslady was right.

"So, what are you going to do?" Cassandra asked as we walked out of the store. The concerned tone in her voice wasn't enough to overshadow her joyful eyes piercing through her black, full-rimmed glasses. I would be that happy, too, if I was able to reserve my dress.

"I don't know," I said, "Worst case scenario, I buy another dress." That was when I found my ticket to fortune. My legs came to a halt in front of a café that had a vacancy sign up. "Waiters wanted," I read the word below it to myself. Cassandra was already walking ahead of me. I could hear her talking, probably thinking I was still there. But it didn't take her long to realize I was standing in front of the café like a statue. There were random things going through my mind. Things I thought only a coward would think of. As it turned out I was being that coward. In just that moment, a gush of fear and doubts ran through my mind. What if I wasn't cut out for the job? What if I spill something? What if the boss was scary? Heck, the whole thing frightened me. I never worked part time before.

My mind was clear. The cowardly side of me took over. I turned my body back on the path I was heading. I decided to continue my walk home and figure something out then. Cassandra was walking towards me by the time I started walking. At least I thought she was walking towards me. I stopped when she passed by me and stood in front of the café. She noticed what I was eyeing back there.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

I thought I was supposed to be the one asking that question, actually. "Walking home?" I stated the obvious.

"Your dress is right here," she said, almost annoyed with me. She pulled me over. "Why are you backing off? Look at this. This is God-sent."

"I-I'm afraid," I admitted, feeling slightly ashamed.

"What is there to be afraid of?"

I started picturing my fears now. All the possible embarrassing and awful scenarios imaginable... Cassandra snapped me back to reality. "Eryn, can you picture yourself to prom with another dress on? Prom is only a month away."

Oh Cassandra. She knew exactly how easy it was to convince me, when it came to something I really wanted. In this case, I really wanted the dress. "I could buy the dress in a week."

"That's the spirit," Cassandra said, "But I don't think they hire someone for only a week though."

"How long do I have to work?"

"At least a month, I think."

"What do I do with the extra money?" I asked.

"You can't be serious," Cassandra rolled her eyes. "Come on," she said and dragged me into the café.

Inside, I just stood there while Cassandra did all the talking. She gets hyped up so easily. Frankly, I never realized that until now. In my defense, she was shy most of the time.

I wasn't paying much attention to the details Cassandra and the man by the counter were saying. I didn't even know who he was. I was too preoccupied watching the waiters and waitresses work around the place. It didn't seem hard though. In fact, it looked way easier than I imagined. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all. "Thank you," I heard Cassandra said to the man and I gave him a nod and a smile, tailing Cassandra as we left the shop.

"So? What now?" I asked.

From the look on Cassandra's face, I could tell she knew I didn't hear a word in the café. But she didn't want to start on that. "You have an interview tomorrow after school. Be punctual."