Three. - First Day

When I got home, my mom asked me about the interview. I haven’t talked to her about it. Not just the interview, everything. I assumed Ashton probably spilled the beans. I never worked before, so I didn’t know what to expect from her.

                “Tonight, eh?” Mom asked when I finished explaining everything. I was sitting on one of the dining chairs in the dining area, watching Mom cook our dinner. I admired her ability to cook up a good meal while still concentrating on our conversation. If I were her, I would surely burn something.

                “Yeah,” I said.

                “I don’t know, Eryn. The guy doesn’t sound legit.”

                As much as I wanted to object, I could understand where Mom was coming from. Although I believed Mr. Gardner’s every word, a tiny part of my brain had doubts, too. I just managed to shake it off until Mom brought it up. The whole thing did sound weird, and a little too good to be true. Extra money, just to make a guy do his job? That didn’t sound hard. “I sort of think so, too. But, I think I’ll just go tonight, to see this guy for myself.” And by the guy I meant Dillan.

                Mom put the lasagna she prepared into the oven and set the temperature and timer for it. She then turned towards me and sat on the dining chair beside me. “You really think the dress is worth it?” she asked, looking a little worried. Yes, I wanted to answer, but it was clear I shouldn’t. “I can give you an extra hundred if you wanted the dress so desperately.”

                “No, mom. Don’t,” I said and held her hand, feeling guilt rising from within me. My parents had spent so much of their hard earned savings on Ashton and me, without saving some for themselves. Ashton especially, studying abroad and all. A lot of money was spent on his education, and they’re actually already saving up for mine. They were always thinking about us, I couldn’t do that to them.

                “Let’s see here,” Ashton said as he joined us, taking a seat beside me. He pushed my light ash brown hair gently behind my ear and examined my face closely. I wrinkled my nose and purposely made funny faces to annoy him. “Yup, mom, she’s a grown woman now.”

                Mom and I both laughed.

                “I don’t think Eryn being a waitress is such a bad idea actually,” Ashton said, turning his head to Mom. “She’s seventeen now, I think it’s time she experience life.”

                One of the reasons I loved Ashton was, he always knew the right words to say. Besides him being the only sibling I had, of course.

                “I guess you’re right,” mom sighed. “You kids grow up so fast.” As if on cue, the timer of the oven went off. “Oh, dinner’s ready!” Mom put on her oven mittens and took the lasagna out, and then serving it on our plates. Dad had work till late, so we had dinner without him.

                                                             .~'.*.'~.

“See you at 9,” Ashton said as I hopped off his motorcycle, unbuckling the helmet and handing it back to him. The café from my house was only about a ten to fifteen minute walk away, but mom was worried and asked Ashton to take me there. And back.

                “Bye,” I said, watching Ashton drive off. From outside, the café looked like it had not up to ten customers in total. A major decrease from before. That, I was relieved about. I mustered the only handful of courage I had within me and went for the door handle. Although shaking inside, I tried acting confident as I didn’t want to appear a weakling to my other fellow employees.