Eight. - Reality

Inside the limo, there were seats lining all around the inner perimeter, except at the doors. In between the seats, a small compartment was built, filled a variety of drinks and snacks. The whole area was so roomy, you could sit on the floor if you wanted to. And while Grace, Kayla, Alex and Mr. Gardner were all impressed and excited about being in the limo, Dillan and I stayed muted. I sat on the far left side of the limo; he on the far right. I was too upset at him to be in the mood for fun like the rest of them. Dillan, I guessed, had been on a limo for far too many times to be amused. It must have felt very typical to him.

                I rested my elbow on the armrest and let my fist carry the weight of my head. Looking out the window, I managed blocking the sounds of excitement going on inside. Somehow Mr. Gardner found some sort of board game and they were all so pumped up about it. Secretly, I suspected them to be mildly drunk. I was thankful they didn’t bother to ask me what was wrong.

                The limo pulled over after driving for approximately half an hour. Despite my glum mood, I couldn’t escape from being in awe of what’s preoccupying my sights. White coloured bricks blanketed the surface of the mansion before me. Two huge marble pillars on either sides of the entrance. About a dozen of steps crawled up to a mahogany double door where a man in black suit and white gloves—who I guessed to be a butler—opened them for us. I turned back to the limo, just to make sure it was real. Behind me, there was a roundabout with a tiered fountain built in the middle, surrounded by green plants. Before that, a huge iron gate performed as the main entrance to the whole place. That was when I realized there were brick walls surrounding us. The only excess in and out was through the gates. It was hard to miss any of this, but I was too sunk in my thoughts during the ride I hadn’t noticed.

                Oh, it was real alright.

                Inside, it was almost too magical, almost too picturesque to not leave my jaw hanging in the air. And I thought outside was amazing enough. I was standing on marble flooring with mixes of bronze and white. The walls were in burgundy and above me was the biggest chandelier I’ve ever seen. I tried counting its tiers, but there were too many I gave up. What’s with rich people and chandeliers? Oh right, because they’re beautiful. I’d like one too if I were this rich. And in front of me was supposed to be a living area, instead all I saw were a dining table and chairs. Two rows of waiters and waitresses formed human barricades on either sides, leading all of us to the dining area. When we were close enough, the waiters and waitresses would walk up to us and pull our chairs for us to sit. I felt like royalty.

                 The long table could fit all of us, with a few extra spaces to spare. The cutlery laying on the table before me was gold, so was the plate. I wouldn’t be surprised if they owed a mini zoo in their backyard now. I looked around me. Excited face. Even the usual quiet and reserved Alex couldn’t stop grinning. Dillan, who sat directly across from me, had a smirk on his face. It looked arrogant and proud. I felt like slapping him.

                Wait, I rubbed my eyes, he wasn’t smirking. Guess the vivid ugly thoughts of him got to my head. Who could blame me for imagining such things? He started it. I scanned his face, searching for an interpretable expression. None. It was completely stoic. I raised an eyebrow at him, but he didn’t seem to notice.

                “Eryn, Dillan,” Paul said in a raised voice, standing inside a room just behind the dining area, “Would you guys please come over?”

                It must be the interview. My heart pounded as I approached the room in Paul’s direction.

                I was expecting the room to be an office, or a study room. But no, it was a freaking recording studio. The ones I only saw in behind the scenes footage videos of singers and musicians. There was a huge rectangular device with numerous buttons in front of me as soon as I stepped into the room. Farther back, there was a microphone and different instruments scattered all around. I went to take a seat on a sofa lining the wall to my left. Dillan sat beside me and our shoulders slightly brushed. I scooted a little to make sure that wouldn’t happen again.