Twenty-Six. - So Perfect

Dedicated to Christinics for commenting on every chapter of my story :) You've motivated me to keep writing.

                                                             ***

Breathe, Eryn. Breathe. It’s just a phone call, I thought to myself. Seriously, it wasn’t like I was about to ask him out or anything. A simple conversation over the phone, that was it. I had my phone in my right hand, already with Dillan’s number keyed in, and a paper with a list of topics I thought we could talk about spread on my bed—a scene similar to last night’s, except this time I wouldn’t give in to cowardice. At least I think I wouldn’t. “Oh, what the heck,” I said to myself and threw the paper in the bin across the room, and hit the dial button, all in a matter of seconds. “Crap, what did I just do?” And then, beeping sounds ensued. I waited, feeling my fingers turn icy cold.

            “Hello?” he answered on the forth ring.

            “Oh, hi.” I laughed nervously for no apparent reason.

            “Who—“ he paused, and then a second later, said, “Eryn?”

            He recognized my voice. I didn’t think I would be so happy at the thought of him knowing my voice, but I was, quite unreasonably so. I bet he recognized many, many other girls’ voices, too. Maybe even Tia’s… “Dillan, hey. Yeah, it’s me, Eryn.” That sounded so weird.

            “Yeah. Hey. You actually got back to me.” He sounded… glad, with a mix of relief, I think? Or maybe I was just overanalyzing things. He continued, “I should’ve made us exchange numbers instead, waiting is no fun.” He let out a humourless laugh. “How are you doing?”

            Oh man, he was waiting for my call. There couldn’t be any hidden meanings behind that, right? My thoughts were a mess. I said the first thing that came to mind. “Great, I’m doing just great. You?”

            “No, what I meant by that is, have you recovered since that night? I don’t know what was going on, but I know you were pretty bummed out by it.”

            It was so sweet of him to remember. The case with Matt and Cassandra was such a pain to deal with, but I guess I pulled through. Cassandra and I are still friends, Matt and I on the other hand, we hadn’t talked about it yet, but I was ready to put it behind us. That should mean I was alright, right? I felt content, and I didn’t want to have any resentment towards them. “Yeah, I’m fine now. Don’t worry about it.” Wait, when did he say he was worried?

            “That’s good to hear.”

            “Yeah.”

            “Are you free right now?”

            “Yeah, why?”

            “Do you want to meet up?”

            “Now?”

            “Yes, now. Unless if you can’t?”

            “Oh, I don’t know, it’s only almost midnight, my parents wouldn’t care where their only daughter went at such a late hour. I think it’s no problem,” I said sarcastically.

            He laughed. “What do you say if I come over? I just want to talk. On your front porch?”

            “I could do that. But aren’t we talking right now?”